Old 31-07-2007, 08:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Weather souvenirs

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Too bad you did not have a piece of black velvet or something. :-)

WHY?

Mary

A darker background would have made for a more dramatic pic, that's all.
But it was most excellent none the less.

I disagree.

It wasn't a work of art, merely a statement of fact.

There are many pictures put up here which are less than perfect (according
to my eye, I worked for a professional photographer) but I don't think it's
kind to comment on them.

Mary

Ok.

But I thought those stones were pretty awesome.

Just a personal opinion.

With a little more work, it COULD have been a serious work of art?

shrugs

My comment was not meant to offend.
I apologize if I offended you.

I've been reluctant to post much.
With a single exception, my pics have not gotten many positive comments
so I sorta gave up.

My favorite one got no positive comments at all...

I can't afford a really good camera.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 31-07-2007, 09:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:43:50 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

Is that what you do? I can't remember seeing one of your pictures, point me
to one and I'll comment :-)

Mary

I've been remiss. ;-)
I did not have much of a garden this year.

I'm ashamed to post any mediocre pics due to the quality of pics
generally posted here.

But, a darker background would have been cool for those magnificent hail
stones imho.

ymmv.

Same can be said for diamonds. That was my original comment and the
black background would have showed them wonderfully.
Old 31-07-2007, 09:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Weather souvenirs - CrystalChandalier_ear.jpg (1/1)

In article ,
joevan wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:43:50 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

Is that what you do? I can't remember seeing one of your pictures, point
me
to one and I'll comment :-)

Mary

I've been remiss. ;-)
I did not have much of a garden this year.

I'm ashamed to post any mediocre pics due to the quality of pics
generally posted here.

But, a darker background would have been cool for those magnificent hail
stones imho.

ymmv.

Same can be said for diamonds. That was my original comment and the
black background would have showed them wonderfully.

:-)

Vermillion would work too.
A pair of Swarovski Crystal earrings I made many moons ago when I used
to make stuff for ebay, before it got to be too costly to sell the
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Attached Thumbnails
Weather souvenirs-crystalchandalier_ear.jpg
Old 31-07-2007, 09:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

Is that what you do? I can't remember seeing one of your pictures, point
me
to one and I'll comment :-)

Mary

I've been remiss. ;-)
I did not have much of a garden this year.

I'm ashamed to post any mediocre pics due to the quality of pics
generally posted here.

So criticism is unkind :-)

But, a darker background would have been cool for those magnificent hail
stones imho.

I disagree.

ymmv.

It does.

Mary

Old 31-07-2007, 09:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

But, a darker background would have been cool for those magnificent hail
stones imho.

ymmv.

Same can be said for diamonds. That was my original comment and the
black background would have showed them wonderfully.

:-)

Vermillion would work too.
A pair of Swarovski Crystal earrings I made many moons ago when I used
to make stuff for ebay, before it got to be too costly to sell the

Have you a picture?

Mary

Old 31-07-2007, 09:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

But I thought those stones were pretty awesome.

they were. They spoke for themselves without any enhancement. They weren't
being offered for sale or exhibited in a gallery.

Just a personal opinion.

With a little more work, it COULD have been a serious work of art?

shrugs

It didn't need to be.

My comment was not meant to offend.
I apologize if I offended you.

I wasn't offended :-)

I've been reluctant to post much.

You've posted a lot! Not pictures though ...

With a single exception, my pics have not gotten many positive comments
so I sorta gave up.

You should strive for perfection.

My favorite one got no positive comments at all...

That's a subjective opinion though. It could be that nobody wanted to point
out how it could be better g

I can't afford a really good camera.

Few of us can.

sigh

I keep taking pictures and looking to see if I'd be proud of them if I
posted them but I wouldn't want to think that someone who didn't put up
anything would tell me how I could improve on it.

Do you understand?

Mary

Old 31-07-2007, 09:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

Is that what you do? I can't remember seeing one of your pictures, point
me
to one and I'll comment :-)

Mary

I've been remiss. ;-)
I did not have much of a garden this year.

I'm ashamed to post any mediocre pics due to the quality of pics
generally posted here.

So criticism is unkind :-)

I generally agree. If I'm not impressed with a pic, I usually refrain
from commenting. Same on the cooking lists.

But, a darker background would have been cool for those magnificent hail
stones imho.

I disagree.

ymmv.

It does.

Mary

I'm ok with agreeing to disagree...

;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 31-07-2007, 09:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

I've been reluctant to post much.

You've posted a lot! Not pictures though ...

Exactly.
And I actually have some waiting on the desktop for shrinkage, but I'm
not sure they are worthy. I got some canna blooms this year for the
first time in 3 years.

With a single exception, my pics have not gotten many positive comments
so I sorta gave up.

You should strive for perfection.

I know. :-(
I need to give up on the digicam and go back to my 35mm pentax and scan.
I always did do better with that camera. It's just more expensive to use.
But, I can get better dof using varying speeds and f-stops.
I can't control that using the digicam.

My favorite one got no positive comments at all...

That's a subjective opinion though. It could be that nobody wanted to point
out how it could be better g

I can't afford a really good camera.

Few of us can.

sigh

I keep taking pictures and looking to see if I'd be proud of them if I
posted them but I wouldn't want to think that someone who didn't put up
anything would tell me how I could improve on it.

Do you understand?

Perfectly!

Mary

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 31-07-2007, 10:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

But, a darker background would have been cool for those magnificent hail
stones imho.

ymmv.
Same can be said for diamonds. That was my original comment and the
black background would have showed them wonderfully.

:-)

Vermillion would work too.
A pair of Swarovski Crystal earrings I made many moons ago when I used
to make stuff for ebay, before it got to be too costly to sell the

Have you a picture?

Mary

Um, I posted it.
That was a scan.

Did you not see it?
(re-post)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Attached Thumbnails
Weather souvenirs-crystalchandalier_ear.jpg

Old 31-07-2007, 10:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

It's not all rain here in central Texas this summer. Fortunately these
were somewhat soft hail stones.

jOhN
[Image]

Whoa. Hope nobody got clocked in the noggin. I'll bet a bunch of cars
got pockmarked.

Reminds me of rock candy. Pure, crystallized sugar. We used to make it
at home on string. Do kids still eat that stuff? It seemed to
gradually disappear and be supplanted by neatly packaged confections
like Pez and Pixie Stix and wax lips. Come to think of it, it's been
decades since I saw any wax lips. Or tongues.
-----------------
-----------------
Old 01-08-2007, 01:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mary Fisher wrote:

There are many pictures put up here which are less than perfect
(according to my eye, I worked for a professional photographer) but I
don't think it's kind to comment on them.

Having been subscribed to this group since around 1998 or so, I have never
seen a directive that photos posted here have to be of profffessional
quality. As far as I know it's all about gardens, not a photography group.
The subject is what matters, not the quality of the photo. I don't make a
lot of comments, simply because I just do not have the time, nothing to do
with quality or lack thereof. That's not to say I don't enjoy looking at the
photos, I certainly do, especially those that do not grow in my area.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

http://www.michigan.gov/hal/0,1607,7...2395--,00.html

I might add that it is prudent to allow the boiled sugar water to cool
just a tad before pouring it into the crystallizing apparatus. I just
had a strong memory triggered by this recipe - on our first attempt we
poured the boiling saturated sugar solution directly into the peanut
butter jar which immediately shattered and would have scalded us smartly
had we not been young and spry. Perhaps peanut butter jars are
manufactured to a higher standard today, though I doubt it. A mason jar
designed for canning would take the heat.

That grandson'll be spinning out of control all over Creation! That's
real sugar, not that sissy pansy liver-damaging fructose they're pushing
on our youth these daze.
-----------------
-----------------
Old 01-08-2007, 05:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Amos Nomore wrote:
In article ,
jOhN wrote:

It's not all rain here in central Texas this summer. Fortunately these
were somewhat soft hail stones.

jOhN
[Image]

Whoa. Hope nobody got clocked in the noggin. I'll bet a bunch of cars
got pockmarked.

snip

This hail was very localized on a few nearby streets. Each stone was
really a single ball as big as a shooter marble with a bunch of smaller
stones frozen to the outside. They would explode like a hand grenade
when they hit.
I talked to a couple of kids that were at the neighborhood pool when the
hail started and they both got whacked by hail stones. They said it hurt
a lot but they seemed fully recovered when I was talking to them.

FYI: all the hailstones we collected went into an ice chest of beer left
over from a weekend party - how's that for a green footprint?

jOhN
Old 01-08-2007, 12:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Weather souvenirs - hail-size.jpg

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:55:26 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Ann" wrote in message
.. .
"Mary Fisher" expounded:

"jOhN" wrote in message
. net...
It's not all rain here in central Texas this summer. Fortunately these
were somewhat soft hail stones.

jOhN

LOL! So it's true what they say about Texans, that everything they have is
bigger than anyone else's :-)

I'm quite glad that I've never experienced hailstones like that!

Mary

We did, three Sundays ago, at our house up in Maine. I've never seen
hail like that, I truly thought it was going to come through the roof
and/or break all the windows, when the wind whipped it around!

We've recently had terrible hail - but nothing like the size of what was in
the picture. We're in Yorkshire, England, I suspect that makes a difference!

Mary

But you have had plenty of rain Mary, in fact more that you wanted !

BillH in Cornwall

--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts