Old 31-07-2007, 11:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default A couple of my recent pictures

My camera is a simple digital, these were taken hand held, I suffer from a
neurological condition which makes my hands tremble AND it was breezy but I
hoped to capture the rain on the petals of this volunteer poppy in my
asparagus patch.

The golden marjoram falls over the ceramic sink it's taken over and can be
seen from my kitchen window, it lights up the dreariest of days - and we've
had plenty of those recently.

Just to prove to Omelet that I do take pictures and I haven't pro
equipment - and I don't want any tips on enhancement from anyone but Padraig
or Marutchi!

Oh, and the third is a lesson to myself, again I don't need anyone to point
out the glaring error which I should have seen. It was simply a record of a
window box on the side of Spouse's workshop, not meant for anyone else's
eyes, but I made the cardinal error of not looking for a reflection in the
window - thus the tartan wool hanging on the washing line and, if you look
carefully enough, me :-)

Probably all too big too ... they've already lost a lot by reducing the size

Mary

Attached Thumbnails
A couple of my recent pictures-poppy-volunteer.jpg   A couple of my recent pictures-golden-oregano.jpg   A couple of my recent pictures-window-box.jpg

Old 01-08-2007, 07:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

[...]

Hahahaha! Well, ya won't get any squawks from me. I thought ya did good
kiddo. I was impressed with the depth of field you have on the poppy. It's
not quite all in focus but almost*, and it's good enough to be a pretty
interesting picture as far as I'm concerned. I thought you did a good job
of showing the water droplets.
--
Paddy's Pig

*That's a hard shot to make for anybody. When you're that close it's almost
impossible to make your depth of field cover the whole flower from front to
back so don't beat yourself up too much about being a little bit off. I
have an older Olympus C740 point 'n shoot camera laying around the house
somewhere and in the beginning while I was getting used to it I shot
everything on "auto". After a while though I discovered I could make some
manual settings and in this case I would have clicked it over to "A" (for
Aperture) and set it to F/16 and given it a go. Otherwise on Auto the
camera will always choose something like F/8 or F/5.6 or F/4 --- all of
which might be okay for general photography but not for close ups. So there
is a way to out-think your camera. Experiment around with it a little. (Of
course if that's what you did already I better shut up!) :-)

Old 01-08-2007, 04:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Padraig" wrote in message

Hahahaha! Well, ya won't get any squawks from me. I thought ya did good
kiddo.

chest swells with pride!

I was impressed with the depth of field you have on the poppy.

So was I.

It's not quite all in focus but almost*,

*That's a hard shot to make for anybody.

I know ...

When you're that close it's almost impossible to make your depth of field
cover the whole flower from front to back so don't beat yourself up too
much about being a little bit off.

I wasn't really beating myself up. If I'd been wiser and used a tripod I'd
have been able to do better with a long focus but I'm so impulsive ... have
always been in trouble for that :-)

I have an older Olympus C740 point 'n shoot camera laying around the house
somewhere and in the beginning while I was getting used to it I shot
everything on "auto".

Yes - these pics were done on auto. I find it gives better results than the
macro setting which I was so keen to have.

After a while though I discovered I could make some manual settings and in
this case I would have clicked it over to "A" (for Aperture) and set it to
F/16 and given it a go. Otherwise on Auto the camera will always choose
something like F/8 or F/5.6 or F/4 --- all of which might be okay for
general photography but not for close ups. So there is a way to out-think
your camera. Experiment around with it a little. (Of course if that's
what you did already I better shut up!) :-)

I don't. I keep reading the manual and remembering that it can be done, just
like on my SLRs of the past, then I forget when I need to!

That's another problem with old age :-(

One day I might spend a few hours experimenting in the hope that I might
retain some of what I learn ... in the meantime, thanks.

Off to Aberdeen tomorrow, might get some nice shots there, the sky is clean!

Mary

Old 01-08-2007, 04:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Very nice Mary keep on posting.

It's not the first time I've posted here :-)

One at a time would be better for those on broadband.

Um - do you mean those not on bb?

Mary

Old 01-08-2007, 04:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

My camera is a simple digital, these were taken hand held, I suffer from a
neurological condition which makes my hands tremble AND it was breezy but I
hoped to capture the rain on the petals of this volunteer poppy in my
asparagus patch.

The golden marjoram falls over the ceramic sink it's taken over and can be
seen from my kitchen window, it lights up the dreariest of days - and we've
had plenty of those recently.

Just to prove to Omelet that I do take pictures and I haven't pro
equipment - and I don't want any tips on enhancement from anyone but Padraig
or Marutchi!

You did not have to prove anything to me!
Now you have challenged me to pull the pics off my camera and post them.
;-) Gotta shrink them first and hope that spiderweb turns out.

In the meantime, attached is one of my favorites from last year that
never elicited any comments. During the Skipper swarm.

Oh, and the third is a lesson to myself, again I don't need anyone to point
out the glaring error which I should have seen. It was simply a record of a
window box on the side of Spouse's workshop, not meant for anyone else's
eyes, but I made the cardinal error of not looking for a reflection in the
window - thus the tartan wool hanging on the washing line and, if you look
carefully enough, me :-)

Probably all too big too ... they've already lost a lot by reducing the size

Mary

begin 666 Poppy volunteer.jpg

Pretty. I like the rain splashes!

The one problem I have right now is taking the camera from the AC in the
house to hot humid outdoors. Takes a bit for me to get it to stop
fogging.

Missed a good cicada pic this morning. ;-( The bugger spooked.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default A couple of my recent pictures - ButterflyBindweed.jpg (1/1)

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

Just to prove to Omelet that I do take pictures and I haven't pro
equipment - and I don't want any tips on enhancement from anyone but Padraig
or Marutchi!

Forgot to attach, sorry!

Nobody seemed to like this one.
What did I do wrong?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Attached Thumbnails
A couple of my recent pictures-butterflybindweed.jpg
Old 01-08-2007, 07:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

Just to prove to Omelet that I do take pictures and I haven't pro
equipment - and I don't want any tips on enhancement from anyone but
Padraig
or Marutchi!

Forgot to attach, sorry!

Nobody seemed to like this one.
What did I do wrong?

I like it! Especially since it demonstrates that bindweed is good for
something, as I've lost hope controlling the stuff.
-----------------
-----------------
Old 01-08-2007, 07:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article
,
Amos Nomore wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

Just to prove to Omelet that I do take pictures and I haven't pro
equipment - and I don't want any tips on enhancement from anyone but
Padraig
or Marutchi!

Forgot to attach, sorry!

Nobody seemed to like this one.
What did I do wrong?

I like it! Especially since it demonstrates that bindweed is good for
something, as I've lost hope controlling the stuff.

I personally think it's rather pretty. As long as I keep track of new
sprouts and weed it out of where I DON'T want it, it's ok.

Being a native to the area, it's a green with low water needs.

I know it grows fast. Believe me!
Just takes diligence. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

Just to prove to Omelet that I do take pictures and I haven't pro
equipment - and I don't want any tips on enhancement from anyone but
Padraig
or Marutchi!

You did not have to prove anything to me!

I know, It was a goad :-)

Now you have challenged me to pull the pics off my camera and post them.
;-) Gotta shrink them first and hope that spiderweb turns out.

I didn't see a web ...

In the meantime, attached is one of my favorites from last year that
never elicited any comments. During the Skipper swarm.

.... and I don't know what a Skipper is ...

The one problem I have right now is taking the camera from the AC in the
house to hot humid outdoors. Takes a bit for me to get it to stop
fogging.

We don't have that problem, no AC. and not really humid here most of the
time.

Missed a good cicada pic this morning. ;-( The bugger spooked.

Recently I shot dozens of honeybees on flowering herbs but either couldn't
hold the camera still enough or the bees moved :-(

Some you win ...

Mary

Old 01-08-2007, 08:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

Nobody seemed to like this one.

How do you know?

Mary

Old 01-08-2007, 09:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

Nobody seemed to like this one.

How do you know?

Mary

I'd posted it before and gotten no comments. ;-)

Twice.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

Nobody seemed to like this one.

How do you know?

Mary

I'd posted it before and gotten no comments. ;-)

Twice.

That could mean that no-one who saw it could offer improving comments :-)

Mary

Old 01-08-2007, 09:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

Just to prove to Omelet that I do take pictures and I haven't pro
equipment - and I don't want any tips on enhancement from anyone but
Padraig
or Marutchi!

You did not have to prove anything to me!

I know, It was a goad :-)

To get me to post more pics...G

Now you have challenged me to pull the pics off my camera and post them.
;-) Gotta shrink them first and hope that spiderweb turns out.

I didn't see a web ...

I'm collecting a folder and will shrink it en' mass. This mornings pics
are still in the camera. I had others stashed.

In the meantime, attached is one of my favorites from last year that
never elicited any comments. During the Skipper swarm.

... and I don't know what a Skipper is ...

A type of tiny butterfly.

The one problem I have right now is taking the camera from the AC in the
house to hot humid outdoors. Takes a bit for me to get it to stop
fogging.

We don't have that problem, no AC. and not really humid here most of the
time.

Humidity here is high right now.
Mushrooms are blooming out of season.

Missed a good cicada pic this morning. ;-( The bugger spooked.

Recently I shot dozens of honeybees on flowering herbs but either couldn't
hold the camera still enough or the bees moved :-(

Some you win ...

Mary

I understand.
Some of the Bindweed pics I got this morning included a shy bee.
We shall see if he turned out but I work nights so gotta sleep
sometimes... G

You challenged me. I'll try to get a series posted tomorrow morning.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

Recently I shot dozens of honeybees on flowering herbs but either
couldn't
hold the camera still enough or the bees moved :-(

Some you win ...

Mary

I understand.
Some of the Bindweed pics I got this morning included a shy bee.
We shall see if he

More likely to be a she ...

turned out but I work nights so gotta sleep
sometimes... G

And I'm supposed to be getting ready to go to Aberdeen tomorrow. Must go and
put the coop in the car to take the hens to a son's for the duration ...
sigh

You challenged me. I'll try to get a series posted tomorrow morning.

It will have to wait for a week for me to see it, sorry.

Mary