Old 20-08-2007, 03:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

Default Bitter-sweet promises - meyer-01.jpg (1/1)

Lemon blossom (Meyer)

....Lemon tree very pretty, and the flower is so sweet. But the fruit of
the poor lemon is impossible to eat...

Or so song goes, but we know otherwise, eh? :-)

I planted this young tree last autumn, its now late winter here and this
poor little tree has only a few leaves left and is looking very sad
indeed. Perhaps that once the weather improves it will recover? I HOPE.
I love Meyer lemons.

--
Mike
Upper Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia

Attached Thumbnails
Bitter-sweet promises - meyer-01.jpg (1/1)-meyer-01.jpg
Old 20-08-2007, 03:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

"Mike Dee" wrote in message
Lemon blossom (Meyer)

...Lemon tree very pretty, and the flower is so sweet. But the fruit of
the poor lemon is impossible to eat...

Or so song goes, but we know otherwise, eh? :-)

I planted this young tree last autumn, its now late winter here and this
poor little tree has only a few leaves left and is looking very sad
indeed. Perhaps that once the weather improves it will recover? I HOPE.
I love Meyer lemons.

I've never seen a lemon flower, never heard of a Merey lemon, but I love
eating lemons :-) That picture is lovely, like a mutant daffodil :-)

Mary

Old 20-08-2007, 04:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

I've never seen a lemon flower, never heard of a Merey lemon, but I love
eating lemons :-) That picture is lovely, like a mutant daffodil :-)

Hi Mary, thanks. The Meyer Lemon has a thin smooth skin and the fruit is
very juicy, great for lemonade. The blossoms are very fragrent, too.
Once established the tree bears a lot of fruit.

http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/lore/meyer.html has a nice (very
brief) slide show of the species.

Old 20-08-2007, 05:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

"Mike Dee" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

I've never seen a lemon flower, never heard of a Meyer lemon, but I love
eating lemons :-) That picture is lovely, like a mutant daffodil :-)

Hi Mary, thanks. The Meyer Lemon has a thin smooth skin and the fruit is
very juicy, great for lemonade. The blossoms are very fragrent, too.
Once established the tree bears a lot of fruit.

I doubt that it would in Yorkshire :-)

Mary

Old 21-08-2007, 12:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

Hi Mary, thanks. The Meyer Lemon has a thin smooth skin and the
fruit is very juicy, great for lemonade. The blossoms are very
fragrent, too. Once established the tree bears a lot of fruit.

I doubt that it would in Yorkshire :-)

Aha I see. Yes I have my doubts for my own planting too. At 1000+
meters above sea level the winters get a litle too cool at times even
though I'm just a 2 hours drive from Sydney.

--
dee

Old 21-08-2007, 02:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

I've never seen a lemon flower, never heard of a Merey lemon, but I
love eating lemons :-) That picture is lovely, like a mutant daffodil
:-)

Another description he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meyer_lemon

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington