GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The Eggplant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/163822-eggplant.html)

Joan F \(MI\)[_22_] 22-08-2007 10:00 PM

The Eggplant

1 Attachment(s)
I decided the eggplant was big enough so we ate it today, but not before
taking a final picture of it along with some African Basil.

Nick Cramer 24-08-2007 09:28 AM

The Eggplant

"Joan F \(MI\)" wrote:
I decided the eggplant was big enough so we ate it today, but not before
taking a final picture of it along with some African Basil.

Beautifully colored eggplant. How did you prepare it? How did it taste? The
flowering African Basil really sets it off nicely.

~Semper Fi~

Joan F \(MI\)[_23_] 24-08-2007 09:54 AM

The Eggplant

In a green curry with coconut milk with catfish, green pepper and Vidalia
onion. It was great, nice and firm and definitely fresh.

That basil plant is huge, I am going to try to save some seed, had never
heard of African Basil but saw the plant when I was shopping this spring.
It smells wonderful when you walk by it.

Nick Cramer 25-08-2007 07:45 AM

The Eggplant

Nick Cramer wrote:
| "Joan F \(MI\)" wrote:
|| I decided the eggplant was big enough so we ate it today, but not
|| before taking a final picture of it along with some African Basil.
|
| Beautifully colored eggplant. How did you prepare it? How did it
| taste? The flowering African Basil really sets it off nicely.

Sounds delicious and very much like a Thai dish I love, Gang Ki Warn (Green
Curry) Pla Muug (Catfish). Eat my SPAM to email for recipe(s).

~Semper Fi~

FragileWarrior 28-08-2007 01:59 PM

The Eggplant

Nick Cramer wrote in
:

Nick Cramer wrote:
| "Joan F \(MI\)" wrote:
|| I decided the eggplant was big enough so we ate it today, but not
|| before taking a final picture of it along with some African Basil.
|
| Beautifully colored eggplant. How did you prepare it? How did it
| taste? The flowering African Basil really sets it off nicely.

Sounds delicious and very much like a Thai dish I love, Gang Ki Warn
(Green Curry) Pla Muug (Catfish). Eat my SPAM to email for recipe(s).

Speaking of Thai -- what is Thai Basil? I saw some for sale when I was
trying to replenish my missing herb garden.

Ann 28-08-2007 02:43 PM

The Eggplant

FragileWarrior expounded:

Speaking of Thai -- what is Thai Basil? I saw some for sale when I was
trying to replenish my missing herb garden.

It's got a sharp, hot undertone. Delish!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

joevan[_2_] 28-08-2007 03:09 PM

The Eggplant

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:43:09 -0400, Ann wrote:

FragileWarrior expounded:

Speaking of Thai -- what is Thai Basil? I saw some for sale when I was
trying to replenish my missing herb garden.

It's got a sharp, hot undertone. Delish!

Anything like a radish taste?
Btw your seeds are about ready to harvest I think. Keeping an eye on
them. Soon as one starts to open then they will be on the way.

Joan F \(MI\)[_24_] 28-08-2007 11:19 PM

The Eggplant

1 Attachment(s)
It's just a variety of Basil, used a lot in Thai cooking. There are lots of
different varieties of basil, I bought this African Basil plant this year
and it has gotten enormous, it is also very fragrant, you can smell it when
you walk by.

Ann 29-08-2007 02:02 AM

The Eggplant

joevan expounded:

Anything like a radish taste?

No, it's definitely basil, just - hot isn't the word. Spicier, I
guess.

Btw your seeds are about ready to harvest I think. Keeping an eye on
them. Soon as one starts to open then they will be on the way.

Okay, thanx!

Nick Cramer 30-08-2007 01:24 PM

The Eggplant

FragileWarrior wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote in
"Joan F \(MI\)" wrote:
[ . . . ]
Nick Cramer wrote:
| "Joan F \(MI\)" wrote:
[ . . . ]

Speaking of Thai -- what is Thai Basil? I saw some for sale when I was
trying to replenish my missing herb garden.

There are three types of basil commonly used in Thai cooking. The most
common one, Thai basil, which is known as horapa in Thai. has a stronger
taste than many other sweet basils. The herb has small leaves, purple stems
and a subtle licorice taste.

Holy Basil is a well known aromatic, short lived perennial herb or small
shrub, often grown as an annual. The foliage is green or purple, strongly
scented. Leaves have petioles, and are ovate, up to 5cm (2") long, usually
somewhat toothed. Flowers are white, tinged purple, borne in racemes.

Its aroma is distinctively different from its close cousin, the Thai Basil
which is sometimes wrongly called Holy Basil, in shops and on the internet,
but they can be distinguished by their aroma and flavour. Holy Basil is
slightly hairy, whereas Thai Basil is smooth and hairless; Holy Basil does
not have the strong aniseed or licorice smell of Thai Basil, and Holy Basil
has a spicy flavor sometimes compared to cloves.

I don't know what the third one is and my Thai wife won't be home for
another three weeks. ;-(

HTH

~Semper Fi~

Ann 31-08-2007 01:39 AM

The Eggplant

Nick Cramer expounded:

Holy Basil is a well known aromatic, short lived perennial herb or small
shrub, often grown as an annual. The foliage is green or purple, strongly
scented. Leaves have petioles, and are ovate, up to 5cm (2") long, usually
somewhat toothed. Flowers are white, tinged purple, borne in racemes.

Its aroma is distinctively different from its close cousin, the Thai Basil
which is sometimes wrongly called Holy Basil, in shops and on the internet,
but they can be distinguished by their aroma and flavour. Holy Basil is
slightly hairy, whereas Thai Basil is smooth and hairless; Holy Basil does
not have the strong aniseed or licorice smell of Thai Basil, and Holy Basil
has a spicy flavor sometimes compared to cloves.

This sounds like what we call Sacred Basil. I absolutely cannot
resist the scent of this plant. I love to run my fingers through it,
the scent lingers for hours.

Nick Cramer 31-08-2007 08:00 PM

The Eggplant

Ann wrote:
Nick Cramer expounded:

[...]

The common Indian species of basil, Ocimum sanctum.

~Semper Fi~