Old 07-09-2007, 05:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Hey, Rob! The photo attachements didn't work

Ann wrote:
Wolf Kirchmeir expounded:

Er, do you mean you save messages? I rarely do.

O'wise, I don't understand your comment, hence don't understand how
Agent is an advantage.

Yes, I do save them, because I want them for archival purposes,
especially for picture posts and threads that interest me. I've got
threads saved from rec.gardens where I've been a participant for over
12 years. The advantage is that the posts and threads are all still
there in my rec.gardens folder where I can find things easily if I
want to.

Well, yes, that I understand, I just don't save nearly as much as you
do, is all.

I get the impression that the data folders you've created are within the
program. You can do that with T'Bird, too, but I don't think it's an
advantage at all. Quite the opposite. My data folders are outside the
program, and even on a different partitions (drives). I'm paranoid about
data loss, and _never_ keep data on the same partition as the program
that generates it. I'm about to implement a RAID1 (mirrored HDD) system
on this machine - two 250GB drives.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Ann wrote:
Wolf Kirchmeir expounded:

Sorry, searching posts isn't what I'm interested in, actually.

The newsreader shows all the newsgroups in in its list - thousands of
them. When setting up the reader, I want to see only the ones about
gardens, for example. That's the "subset" of the newsgroup list.

In T'Bird, I enter 'garden' in the search field above the newsgroups
list, and only the newsgroups with 'garden' in their names will show.

So, how's that done with Agent or Free Agent?

That's under Tools/Newsgroup Directory. There's a field where you
type in the word 'garden' and every newsgroup with that in the name
will come up.

I dislike Thunderbird for news because I am so used to the Agent
interface - I like to 'keep' messages right in the group, not have to
copy them into another folder, so everything stays in one place. I
have retention set for 30 days, everything older gets purged except
for the ones I lock as kept. For mail, I use T-bird.

Well, I use PMMail, which has the inestimable advantage that it decodes
no binaries whatsoever, and even passes on most HTML. Plain text only.
The amount of cutesy videos (sent me by well meaning friends and
relations) that I avoid seeing is most gratifying. That plus the AVG
e-mail scan has resulted in no nasty stuff showing up on my computer for
almost three years now.

HTH
Old 07-09-2007, 11:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Wolf Kirchmeir expounded:

I get the impression that the data folders you've created are within the
program. You can do that with T'Bird, too, but I don't think it's an
advantage at all. Quite the opposite. My data folders are outside the
program, and even on a different partitions (drives). I'm paranoid about
data loss, and _never_ keep data on the same partition as the program
that generates it. I'm about to implement a RAID1 (mirrored HDD) system
on this machine - two 250GB drives.

No, you misunderstand what I do. I don't create any data folders, all
of the messages I want to keep are held within the newsgroup folder
they originally were viewed in. It's just my preference, I like
having all my rec.gardens stuff in rec.gardens, all of my
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens stuff in there. None of this is mission
critical, if it were, then I'd put it somewhere else, this is all pure
enjoyment for me. I'm not a huge binary downloader at all, either. It
works.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 08-09-2007, 02:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Ann wrote:
Wolf Kirchmeir expounded:

[...]

Ok, understood.

[IMG] code is On

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
Attn:- Rob Halgren wendy7 Orchids 2 01-12-2004 04:46 PM
Nemaslug didn't work Bruce Ella United Kingdom 4 17-06-2003 06:08 PM
Chicken and Dumplings didn't work zhanataya Gardening 10 03-03-2003 04:39 AM