GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Stapelia gigantica (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/165752-stapelia-gigantica.html)

wendy7 11-10-2007 04:19 AM

Stapelia gigantica

1 Attachment(s)
Stapelia gigantica complete with flies!
Cheers Wendy

FragileWarrior 12-10-2007 09:13 PM

Stapelia gigantica

"Wendy7" wrote in :

Stapelia gigantica complete with flies!
Cheers Wendy
Attachment decoded: untitled-2.txt
------=_NextPart_000_008D_01C80B7A.E05DF9F0

Attachment decoded: Stapelia gigantica DSC01358.jpg
------=_NextPart_000_008D_01C80B7A.E05DF9F0--

Too cool! Does it smell funky?

Patty Peeples 16-10-2007 09:53 PM

Stapelia gigantica

Wow Wendy...now that is a very odd and neat looking plant. cool shot.
Does the plant eat flies?
Patty

wendy7 17-10-2007 04:12 PM

Stapelia gigantica

Thanks Patty, not to my knowledge?
This is what Someone posted:-
"It's a brilliant plant, it attracts the flies, which are supposed to
pollinate it however I have never seen anything like a seed pod. The flies
hang around as you see, lay their eggs near the centre (after having
ostensibly pollinated the flower) , the fly larva hatch - and starve to
death because there is no carrion for them to eat!"
I didn't even sniff it & only notice the eggs after taking the photo.
Cheers Wendy