GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Stapelia gigantica - even closer (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/165754-stapelia-gigantica-even-closer.html)

wendy7 11-10-2007 04:22 AM

Stapelia gigantica - even closer

1 Attachment(s)
These flowers are supposed to have a rotten meat type odor but I
did not sniff!
Cheers Wendy

Bob Williams[_3_] 11-10-2007 09:08 AM

Wendy7 wrote:
These flowers are supposed to have a rotten meat type odor but I
did not sniff!
Cheers Wendy

Waaaay Cool!
Does the plant trap and digest the flies like a Venus fly trap or does
it just attract the flies with its odor?
Bob Williams

wendy7 11-10-2007 10:05 PM

Stapelia gigantica - even closer

I honestly don't know Bob? Not even sure about the white stuff in the
center ? Ugh!
I do know that flies lay eggs in rotten meat but I didn't hang around to
observe.
Cheers Wendy

someone 11-10-2007 11:39 PM

Wendy7 wrote:
These flowers are supposed to have a rotten meat type odor but I
did not sniff!
Cheers Wendy

Waaaay Cool!
Does the plant trap and digest the flies like a Venus fly trap or does it
just attract the flies with its odor?

It's a brilliant plant, it attracts the flies, which are supposed to
pollinate it however I have never seen anything like a seed pod. The flies
hang around as you see, lay their eggs near the centre (after having
ostensibly pollinated the flower) , the fly larva hatch - and starve to
death because there is no carrion for them to eat!

I don't think it smells so bad. It's an odd smell but not actually
unpleasant, unlike, say, a stinkhorn fungus which really does smell like
s**t.

The flower is very beautiful, congratulations Wendy.

someone

FragileWarrior 12-10-2007 09:16 PM

Stapelia gigantica - even closer - 1 attachment

1 Attachment(s)
"someone" wrote in
:

Wendy7 wrote:
These flowers are supposed to have a rotten meat type odor but I
did not sniff!
Cheers Wendy

---

Waaaay Cool!
Does the plant trap and digest the flies like a Venus fly trap or
does it just attract the flies with its odor?

It's a brilliant plant, it attracts the flies, which are supposed to
pollinate it however I have never seen anything like a seed pod. The
flies hang around as you see, lay their eggs near the centre (after
having ostensibly pollinated the flower) , the fly larva hatch - and
starve to death because there is no carrion for them to eat!

I don't think it smells so bad. It's an odd smell but not actually
unpleasant, unlike, say, a stinkhorn fungus which really does smell
like s**t.

Amd the Voodoo Lily which smelled like a garbage dump on a hot July day!