GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Feb21-E - Peruvian Lily-20080653-Edit.jpg (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/171272-feb21-e-peruvian-lily-20080653-edit-jpg.html)

John - Pa. 22-02-2008 03:21 PM

Feb21-E - Peruvian Lily-20080653-Edit.jpg

1 Attachment(s)
Alstroemeria; aka Peruvian Lily. As I was reading up on this guy I
came across the following passage in Wikipedia, which you can see
demonstrated in the picture.

"Perhaps the most fascinating- and telltale- morphological trait of
Alstroemeria and its relatives is the fact that the leaves are
resupinate, that is, they twist from the base so that what appears to
be the upper leaf surface is in fact the lower leaf surface. This very
unusual botanical feature is easily observed in the leaves on cut
flowers from the florist."

Longwood Gardens
JD
Canon 1D-mkIII
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

joevan[_2_] 22-02-2008 04:51 PM

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:21:29 -0500, John - Pa. wrote:

Alstroemeria; aka Peruvian Lily. As I was reading up on this guy I
came across the following passage in Wikipedia, which you can see
demonstrated in the picture.

"Perhaps the most fascinating- and telltale- morphological trait of
Alstroemeria and its relatives is the fact that the leaves are
resupinate, that is, they twist from the base so that what appears to
be the upper leaf surface is in fact the lower leaf surface. This very
unusual botanical feature is easily observed in the leaves on cut
flowers from the florist."

Longwood Gardens
JD
Canon 1D-mkIII
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

Thanks for the wonderful photos.

Ann 23-02-2008 08:37 PM

Feb21-E - Peruvian Lily-20080653-Edit.jpg

John - Pa. expounded:

Alstroemeria; aka Peruvian Lily. As I was reading up on this guy I
came across the following passage in Wikipedia, which you can see
demonstrated in the picture.

"Perhaps the most fascinating- and telltale- morphological trait of
Alstroemeria and its relatives is the fact that the leaves are
resupinate, that is, they twist from the base so that what appears to
be the upper leaf surface is in fact the lower leaf surface. This very
unusual botanical feature is easily observed in the leaves on cut
flowers from the florist."

That's very interesting! Thanx for posting it.

Oh, and nice pic, too :o)
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts