Old 11-03-2008, 08:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Mar11-A - Heucherella-IMG_1175.JPG

I was just fooling around with a little compact camera that we have (a
Canon A620) and took this portrait of a Heucherella "Stoplight". I've
been growing this indoors as a houseplant.

JD

Attached Thumbnails
Mar11-A  - Heucherella-IMG_1175.JPG-heucherella-img_1175.jpg
Old 11-03-2008, 08:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

By the way, as long as I am fooling around with cameras, here is the
same plant about 30-minutes later taken with a different camera. In
this case it is a Sony DSC-T100 pocket camera.

Because the zoom level was different (hard to judge by guessing), I
had to crop down the Sony image to more-or-less match the framing of
the tighter Canon shot. If anything this would have put the Sony at a
disadvantage, but I think that I prefer the Sony over the Canon image.
I think that both the colors and the exposure are more accurate in the
Sony and that the image is sharper.

JD

Attached Thumbnails
Mar11-A  - Heucherella-IMG_1175.JPG-heucherella-dsc00325.jpg
Old 11-03-2008, 09:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

John - Pa. wrote in message
news
I was just fooling around with a little compact camera that we have (a
Canon A620) and took this portrait of a Heucherella "Stoplight". I've
been growing this indoors as a houseplant.

JD

It was worth doing!

Mary

Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

John - Pa. wrote in message
By the way, as long as I am fooling around with cameras, here is the
same plant about 30-minutes later taken with a different camera. In
this case it is a Sony DSC-T100 pocket camera.

Because the zoom level was different (hard to judge by guessing), I
had to crop down the Sony image to more-or-less match the framing of
the tighter Canon shot. If anything this would have put the Sony at a
disadvantage, but I think that I prefer the Sony over the Canon image.
I think that both the colors and the exposure are more accurate in the
Sony and that the image is sharper.

JD

It's certainly sharper, can't comment on the colours of course. I thought
the first was superb ... the second shows that my judgement was wrong,
what's a superlative of 'superb'?

:-)

Mary

Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:48:14 -0400, John - Pa. wrote:

By the way, as long as I am fooling around with cameras, here is the
same plant about 30-minutes later taken with a different camera. In
this case it is a Sony DSC-T100 pocket camera.

Because the zoom level was different (hard to judge by guessing), I
had to crop down the Sony image to more-or-less match the framing of
the tighter Canon shot. If anything this would have put the Sony at a
disadvantage, but I think that I prefer the Sony over the Canon image.
I think that both the colors and the exposure are more accurate in the
Sony and that the image is sharper.

JD

Definitely. The Sony image seems better in a number of ways.

Old 14-03-2008, 06:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

John - Pa. wrote:
I was just fooling around with a little compact camera that we have (a
Canon A620) and took this portrait of a Heucherella "Stoplight". I've
been growing this indoors as a houseplant.

JD

The Canon image is definitely "greener". Seems a bit unnatural though.
Since you have the original plant and consider that the Sony yields
truer colors, I would concur.
Did you use a tripod in both/either instance?
Was the lighting precisely the same in both case? No fluorescent light
assist in the Canon?
Canon Auto White balance may be a little off if shot indoors.
Different cameras use different amounts of sharpening by default.
Canon may use less sharpening.
Sony uses the legendary Zeiss Tessar lens. This may account for some of
the increased sharpness.

To get a really valid comparison of the two cameras it is necessary to
shoot both pictures under precisely the same conditions.
Tripod, Reproducible lighting, Identical in-camera sharpening (as close
as possible),same image quality (degree of compression), etc.
BTW, nice pictures.
Bob Williams

Old 14-03-2008, 11:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

This was not a rigorous controlled comparison. I had the Canon shot
and as I was working with it I said, 'Hey, let's see what the Sony can
do too'.

The lighting was natural from the window on an overcast day but the
time was close enough that it shouldn't have made any difference. I
didn't use a tripod, and the Sony , but not the Canon, has its version
of "Image Stabilization", so that could have been a difference.

In these models, the Canon actually has a significantly larger sensor,
and I guess that my main surprise was that the larger sensor didn't
produce a clearly better image, which I would have expected.

Old 15-03-2008, 08:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

John - Pa. wrote:
This was not a rigorous controlled comparison. I had the Canon shot
and as I was working with it I said, 'Hey, let's see what the Sony can
do too'.

The lighting was natural from the window on an overcast day but the
time was close enough that it shouldn't have made any difference. I
didn't use a tripod, and the Sony , but not the Canon, has its version
of "Image Stabilization", so that could have been a difference.

In these models, the Canon actually has a significantly larger sensor,
and I guess that my main surprise was that the larger sensor didn't
produce a clearly better image, which I would have expected.
JD

Your observations agree well with the images shown for these two cameras
on Steves Digicams.
http://steves-digicams.com/
For each camera, look at the Red Brick Building under "Sample Pictures"
Check the resolution by reading the number on the Trash Receptacle and
on the Street Sign.
The resolution and color depth are MUCH better for the Sony than for the
Canon.
Bob Williams