Old 23-03-2008, 02:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default what is going on with my broccoli?

any ideas. thanks

Attached Thumbnails
what is going on with my broccoli?-000_0014.jpg
Old 23-03-2008, 03:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 21:42:59 -0500, "Mr. Green" wrote:

any ideas. thanks

looks like it is bolting...has it been warm & dry for a while?

Dave
Dave Fouchey

Florence, SC

N34° 11' 36.40"

W79° 47' 6.85"

WA4EMR
Old 23-03-2008, 03:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

I'm in central Texas. It's been a fairly mild spring. This is a new garden I
setup this year in the west part of the lawn. I added some organic matter
but he soil still has a lot of clay. The plants get about 6 to 8 hours of
full sun. I've kept them well watered. I dont know much about gardening but
I think broccoli should have nice dence edible buds. The onions in the back
part of the picture are doing fine. The broccoli does not look healthy to
me.

Old 23-03-2008, 03:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mr. Green wrote:
I'm in central Texas. It's been a fairly mild spring. This is a new garden I
setup this year in the west part of the lawn. I added some organic matter
but he soil still has a lot of clay. The plants get about 6 to 8 hours of
full sun. I've kept them well watered. I dont know much about gardening but
I think broccoli should have nice dence edible buds. The onions in the back
part of the picture are doing fine. The broccoli does not look healthy to
me.

Oh, they are healthy, all right. They are just setting flowers, is all.
I suspect that your climate is too hot, and/or that your spring weather
has been too hot too soon this year. In Texas, brassicas (cabbage group,
includes cauliflower, etc) would be a winter vegetable. See:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1605.html

If you do try again, mulch heavily, too keep the roots cool and moist.
You could experiment with a sunshade about 2ft above part of the row,
too. If you do, report back with your results -- I'm sure other
gardeners in the Southwest would be interested.

Good luck!

--
wolf k.
Old 23-03-2008, 12:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mr. Green" wrote ...
I'm in central Texas. It's been a fairly mild spring. This is a new garden
I setup this year in the west part of the lawn. I added some organic
matter but he soil still has a lot of clay. The plants get about 6 to 8
hours of full sun. I've kept them well watered. I dont know much about
gardening but I think broccoli should have nice dence edible buds. The
onions in the back part of the picture are doing fine. The broccoli does
not look healthy to me.

I always thought Broccoli was a plant for cool climates. However perhaps
there are now varieties for higher temperatures, not living in such a place
I don't know. :-)

Some have one tight head followed by some little ones and we call these
types "Calabrese", others are what we call "Sprouting Broccoli" (often
purple) and have lots of small heads which keep coming the more you cut them
off. They all bolt to flowers if you leave them though.

Clay is a fertile soil but can be on the acid side, so as all Brassicas like
an alkaline soil check you soil pH (kits are available), it should be more
than pH7 (neutral) and if it's below that it's acid so you need to use Lime
to improve it for your brassicas next year.
BTW Clay is only a problem for you not your plants. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-03-2008, 03:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Mr. Green" wrote:

any ideas. thanks

begin 666 000_0014.jpg
[Image]

end

It's blooming. :-)
You can still pick it now and eat it that way.
Wait much longer and you won't be able to.

Peace! Om

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. They have never
forgotten this." - Heinlein
Old 24-03-2008, 01:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Mr. Green" wrote:

any ideas. thanks

begin 666 000_0014.jpg
[Image]

end

It's blooming. :-)
You can still pick it now and eat it that way.
Wait much longer and you won't be able to.

Peace! Om

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. They have never
forgotten this." - Heinlein

Your broccoli has bolted, you must be going through warm weather and lots of
sun. Broccoli likes cold/cool damp grey weather, which is why it does so
well in U.K. because we mostly have cool damp crap weather :-( but good
broccoli :-).

To Om: - a friend gave me a T-shirt with this saying, I didn't know it was
from Heinlein - thanks!

someone

Old 24-03-2008, 04:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"someone" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Mr. Green" wrote:

any ideas. thanks

begin 666 000_0014.jpg
[Image]

end

It's blooming. :-)
You can still pick it now and eat it that way.
Wait much longer and you won't be able to.

Peace! Om

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. They have never
forgotten this." - Heinlein

Your broccoli has bolted, you must be going through warm weather and lots of
sun. Broccoli likes cold/cool damp grey weather, which is why it does so
well in U.K. because we mostly have cool damp crap weather :-( but good
broccoli :-).

To Om: - a friend gave me a T-shirt with this saying, I didn't know it was
from Heinlein - thanks!

someone

Welcome! :-)

Even that bolted broccoli is still eatable. I planted some early winter
and got some good small compact heads but after I cut those and the
weather started warming up, I got more like what was in that picture,
and they were still tasty bits...

Old 24-03-2008, 09:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"Mr. Green" wrote ...
[...]

I forgot to mention, cut off all those heads that have turned to flower and
you should get new growth that, depending on the weather, will make lots of
tasty small heads in a few weeks.
Shade cloth over them next year to keep the hot sun off?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-03-2008, 11:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Omelet expounded:

Even that bolted broccoli is still eatable. I planted some early winter
and got some good small compact heads but after I cut those and the
weather started warming up, I got more like what was in that picture,
and they were still tasty bits...

Not only is it edible, but it's a great bee plant. I let mine bolt
last year in the heat of the summer and the girls were all over them!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 24-03-2008, 04:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Omelet expounded:

Even that bolted broccoli is still eatable. I planted some early winter
and got some good small compact heads but after I cut those and the
weather started warming up, I got more like what was in that picture,
and they were still tasty bits...

Not only is it edible, but it's a great bee plant. I let mine bolt
last year in the heat of the summer and the girls were all over them!

Oh I know what you mean! I let a few of them go and ended up with lots
of seed pods. :-)