GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Peacock Ginger-0231 (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/172308-peacock-ginger-0231-a.html)

Marutchi[_3_] 28-03-2008 09:44 AM

Peacock Ginger-0231

1 Attachment(s)
Kaempferia pulchra (Zingiberaceae)

Omelet[_4_] 28-03-2008 05:21 PM

Peacock Ginger-0231

In article ,
"Marutchi" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote:

Kaempferia pulchra (Zingiberaceae)

begin 666 b-0231-ginger-26-03-08-20-90.jpg
[Image]

end

Nice ;-) I never did get last years Ginger to bloom. I probably did not
water it enough in the later season.

Peace! Om

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. They have never
forgotten this." - Heinlein

Mary Fisher 28-03-2008 07:46 PM

Peacock Ginger-0231

"Omelet" wrote in message
In article ,
"Marutchi" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote:

Kaempferia pulchra (Zingiberaceae)

I didn't get this picture, will you please re-send - to the group or me,
Barbara.

Mary

Marutchi[_3_] 29-03-2008 03:08 AM

Peacock Ginger-0231

Omelet wrote:

Nice ;-) I never did get last years Ginger to bloom. I probably did
not water it enough in the later season.

Thanks, yes they are rather thirsty plants. :-)

Marutchi[_3_] 29-03-2008 03:08 AM

Repost : Peacock Ginger-0231

1 Attachment(s)

Mary Fisher 29-03-2008 09:25 AM

Repost : Peacock Ginger-0231

"Marutchi" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

I didn't get this picture, will you please re-send - to the group or
me, Barbara.

Oh! I'm glad I asked, thank you, it's exquisite! And I can't understand why
I didn't see it first time round :-(

Mary

Marutchi[_3_] 29-03-2008 12:27 PM

Repost : Peacock Ginger-0231

Mary Fisher wrote:

I didn't get this picture, will you please re-send - to the group or
me, Barbara.

Oh! I'm glad I asked, thank you, it's exquisite! And I can't
understand why I didn't see it first time round :-(

thanks Mary, one of the mysteries of Usenet. :-)

Omelet[_4_] 29-03-2008 04:42 PM

Peacock Ginger-0231

Omelet wrote:

Nice ;-) I never did get last years Ginger to bloom. I probably did
not water it enough in the later season.

Thanks, yes they are rather thirsty plants. :-)

Thanks for that, so how often do you water them, and how much?
They started to throw one bloom spike, but it died. :-(

I left most of last years rhizomes in the ground. Just pulled a single
one because I needed it at the moment and was out of frozen.

Mine are "grocery store" ginger.

Marutchi[_3_] 30-03-2008 02:56 AM

Peacock Ginger-0231

Omelet wrote:

Nice ;-) I never did get last years Ginger to bloom. I probably did
not water it enough in the later season.

Thanks, yes they are rather thirsty plants. :-)

Thanks for that, so how often do you water them, and how much?
They started to throw one bloom spike, but it died. :-(

Depends on the rainfall, but I never let them dry out completely.

I left most of last years rhizomes in the ground. Just pulled a single
one because I needed it at the moment and was out of frozen.

I don't have that problem, live in a subtropical climate.

Mine are "grocery store" ginger.

Omelet[_4_] 30-03-2008 10:31 AM

Peacock Ginger-0231

Omelet wrote:

Nice ;-) I never did get last years Ginger to bloom. I probably did
not water it enough in the later season.

Thanks, yes they are rather thirsty plants. :-)

Thanks for that, so how often do you water them, and how much?
They started to throw one bloom spike, but it died. :-(

Depends on the rainfall, but I never let them dry out completely.

I left most of last years rhizomes in the ground. Just pulled a single
one because I needed it at the moment and was out of frozen.

I don't have that problem, live in a subtropical climate.

You are fortunate.
I still remember the "jungle" dad had in the back yard when I was a kid.
Bamboo and banana trees!

I grew up until age 12 in Torrance California, then we moved up to Lake
Hughes where it was colder.