Old 03-04-2008, 05:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default OT Camera advice please?

I apologise in advance for this but if anyone can advise I'd appreciate it.

In the summer we're going on an Arctic cruise and of course I want the best
pictures I can afford. Digital camera makers seem to fall over themselves in
getting more and more sophisticated models at cheaper prices, it's very
confusing.

I wondered about having an SLR digital - I've heard about them but not seen
one, my old pro photographer boss has finally got one and is very pleased
with it but I don't think I could afford what he paid.

Has anyone here any experience or recommendations? I've used SLR manual for
nearly sixty years but do enjoy the computer-related functions of digital
and thought the combination might combine the best of both to advantage.

But I don't know ...

Mary

Old 03-04-2008, 05:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 17:35:07 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I apologise in advance for this but if anyone can advise I'd appreciate it.

In the summer we're going on an Arctic cruise and of course I want the best
pictures I can afford. Digital camera makers seem to fall over themselves in
getting more and more sophisticated models at cheaper prices, it's very
confusing.

I wondered about having an SLR digital - I've heard about them but not seen
one, my old pro photographer boss has finally got one and is very pleased
with it but I don't think I could afford what he paid.

Has anyone here any experience or recommendations? I've used SLR manual for
nearly sixty years but do enjoy the computer-related functions of digital
and thought the combination might combine the best of both to advantage.

But I don't know ...

Mary

I have a Rebel Canon ($600) and it takes excellent pictures and has
lots of features. The downside, like all SLRs, is that they are
bulkier, heavier, and cost more than other cameras. I have a Kodak
Easyshare ($200) that I carry most anywhere, as it is small,
lightweight, and takes very good pictures (and short movies).
Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Hi there Mary,
This might help you.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

If I were you find a camera that you can use your old lenses on.
Also I went to a camera shop & held & looked at all of them.
Have fun,
Cheers Wendy (Who just points & clicks)

t...

Old 03-04-2008, 06:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote I apologise in advance for this but if anyone can
advise I'd appreciate it.

In the summer we're going on an Arctic cruise and of course I want the
best pictures I can afford. Digital camera makers seem to fall over
themselves in getting more and more sophisticated models at cheaper
prices, it's very confusing.

I wondered about having an SLR digital - I've heard about them but not
seen one, my old pro photographer boss has finally got one and is very
pleased with it but I don't think I could afford what he paid.

Has anyone here any experience or recommendations? I've used SLR manual
for nearly sixty years but do enjoy the computer-related functions of
digital and thought the combination might combine the best of both to
advantage.

But I don't know ...

If you have had an SLR for some time you probably have lots of lenses etc
that fit that make, see if the same manufacturer makes a good Digital SLR
and if your existing stuff will fit it (some very old stuff may not). That
can cut down the cost considerably as you only need to purchase the Digital
Camera body and will also help as you then already know how most of the
equipment functions.
A good local Camera shop will advise.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-04-2008, 09:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mary Fisher wrote:
I apologise in advance for this but if anyone can advise I'd appreciate it.

In the summer we're going on an Arctic cruise and of course I want the best
pictures I can afford. Digital camera makers seem to fall over themselves in
getting more and more sophisticated models at cheaper prices, it's very
confusing.

I wondered about having an SLR digital - I've heard about them but not seen
one, my old pro photographer boss has finally got one and is very pleased
with it but I don't think I could afford what he paid.

Has anyone here any experience or recommendations? I've used SLR manual for
nearly sixty years but do enjoy the computer-related functions of digital
and thought the combination might combine the best of both to advantage.

But I don't know ...

Mary

I thought of getting a DSLR two years ago when we went to Europe. I
decided against it, as it's heavier than a point'n'shoot. That's not to
say that a DSLR is a bad choice. It's just that a $200+/- point'n'shoot
set at the highest resolution these days does nearly as good a job as a
DSLR. If you're going on a trip, the weight of an SLR lens can get
tiresome, as you know. The main advantage of an DSLR is that it stores
images in RAW format, which allows for more image processing than the
JPG format used by point'n'shoot cameras.

We have two Canon Sureshots, and like them. My daughter's family has
Fuji Finepix. No difference in picture quality, just a different
arrangement of controls.

Last but IMO very important: avoid any camera that requires some
funny-shaped proprietary battery. No matter how good a deal it is. AA,
AAA batteries only - they are available anywhere. My sister-on-law
bought a deal-you-can't-refuse at Wallymart, and couldn't find a
replacement battery a mere six weeks later.

Oh, and buy at least two of the largest memory cards available for your
camera....

--
wolf k.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Wolf K. wrote:

[...]

I tend to agree with most of the above. Just as important, to my way of
thinking, is to go to a camera shop and actually handle the camera and see
how it feels in your hand and if the buttons/menus are a comfortable
arrangement for you to use.
I use a DSLR, started of with a Canon G2 (point and shoot) and progressed
through to a Canon 40D. I still use the G2 occasionally, it shoots RAW files
too.
For the most part, point & shoot cameras take better looking photos, out of
the camera, as they do "in camera" editing, a DSLR photo will, more than
likely, need a little bit of tweaking with an editing programme.
When it all boils down, for mine, it comes down to budget and ergonomics.
Having said all that for my forthcoming trip overseas I will be taking two
DSLRs, as I am quite used to carrying them around, so I don't think that
will be a problem for me.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Wolf K. wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

I have been using SLRs for over 45 years and I have been all around the
world taking pictures and, for me, they are the ONLY choice if you are
serious about photography. As my tag line shows I am currently using a
Pentax DSLR and it takes really great pictures (and I have a great set
of lenses for it, some are over 30 years old and still work on my newest
camera). I totally disagree with "Wolf K" that a "point'n'shoot camera
set at the highest resolution these days does nearly as good a job as a
DSLR". You just don't have the control with a point'n'shoot camera and
I have yet to find one that has a really decent lens. Also, it is not
true that the main advantage of a DSLR is that it can shoot in RAW
format. Other (non DSLRs) have that feature too and with the high
resolution that news cameras are capable of RAW is not needed unless you
are doing professional photography. I do agree with Wolf about
batteries. Get something that uses AA batteries and the best
rechargeable AAs that I found are the new Hybrid ones that several
vendors now make. I also disagree about getting the largest memory
cards available for your camera. For the money, 1 or 2 GB cards are a
MUCH better deal than the higher capacity cards, and, for me, I can keep
things better organized with "smaller" memory cards.

I don't have any specific brand recommendations on DSLRs. All of the
newer ones are very good but I would read the online reviews of the ones
you are considering to make sure it has all the features you want. As
others have recommended in this thread, I HIGHLY recommend a local
dealer and not the "Wal*Mart" type of store where the people don't
really know much about what they are selling.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Marutchi" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote in message
Wolf K. wrote:

[...]

Good point.

I use a DSLR, started of with a Canon G2 (point and shoot) and progressed
through to a Canon 40D. I still use the G2 occasionally, it shoots RAW
files too.

No idea what RAW files are ...

For the most part, point & shoot cameras take better looking photos, out
of the camera, as they do "in camera" editing, a DSLR photo will, more
than likely, need a little bit of tweaking with an editing programme.

I seem to need - that is WANT! - to edit most of the pictures I keep. The
editing is part of the fun - I did the same in a darkroom.

When it all boils down, for mine, it comes down to budget and ergonomics.

Budget is a concern to a point - but compared with the cost of the cruise it
will be irrelevant :-) What's more, the camera will still give me pleasure
when we're back home.

Having said all that for my forthcoming trip overseas I will be taking two
DSLRs, as I am quite used to carrying them around, so I don't think that
will be a problem for me.

Carrying a heavy camera never was a problem, with a decent bag of course. We
shan't be doing long treks ...

Thanks, Barbara,

Mary

Old 04-04-2008, 05:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bill R" wrote in message news:47f56437$0$19813

I have been using SLRs for over 45 years and I have been all around the
world taking pictures and, for me, they are the ONLY choice if you are
serious about photography.

It won't be *serious* - except for my pleasure. Having been inspired by this
group I aim for something better than I can get at the moment.

... I totally disagree with "Wolf K" that a "point'n'shoot camera set at
the highest resolution these days does nearly as good a job as a DSLR".
You just don't have the control with a point'n'shoot camera and I have yet
to find one that has a really decent lens.

I find that the lack of control with my P&S is a handicap.

Also, it is not true that the main advantage of a DSLR is that it can
shoot in RAW format. Other (non DSLRs) have that feature too and with the
high resolution that news cameras are capable of RAW is not needed unless
you are doing professional photography.

Which I'm not.

I do agree with Wolf about batteries. Get something that uses AA
batteries and the best rechargeable AAs that I found are the new Hybrid
ones that several vendors now make.

Yes, that's a very good point which I hadn't thought about.

I also disagree about getting the largest memory cards available for your
camera. For the money, 1 or 2 GB cards are a MUCH better deal than the
higher capacity cards, and, for me, I can keep things better organized
with "smaller" memory cards.

I doubt that I'll need anything more than that, heck, the biggest card I
have right now is 256Mb. And yes, organisation is better with 'smaller'
cards.

I don't have any specific brand recommendations on DSLRs. All of the
newer ones are very good but I would read the online reviews of the ones
you are considering to make sure it has all the features you want. As
others have recommended in this thread, I HIGHLY recommend a local dealer
and not the "Wal*Mart" type of store where the people don't really know
much about what they are selling.

That's certainly a very pertinent point, we do tend to think that we know it
all but we don't!

Thank you, everyone. It's all food for thought.

Mary

Old 04-04-2008, 05:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Get something that uses AA batteries and the best rechargeable AAs that
I found are the new Hybrid ones that several vendors now make.

I have a canon 350D with two recharable batts.
No problom when abroud, just be sure to have a spare one that is well
charged up.

DAVE
Bristol UK
http://djmp.co.uk/slr%201/

Old 04-04-2008, 07:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

I apologise in advance for this but if anyone can advise I'd appreciate it.

In the summer we're going on an Arctic cruise and of course I want the
best pictures I can afford. Digital camera makers seem to fall over
themselves in getting more and more sophisticated models at cheaper
prices, it's very confusing.
I wondered about having an SLR digital - I've heard about them but not
seen one, my old pro photographer boss has finally got one and is very
pleased with it but I don't think I could afford what he paid.

Has anyone here any experience or recommendations? I've used SLR manual
for nearly sixty years but do enjoy the computer-related functions of
digital and thought the combination might combine the best of both to
advantage.

If by "SLR manual" you mean a 35mm film Single Lens Reflex with
interchangeable lenses then you won't be intimidated by a modern Digital
Single Lens Reflex (DSLR), nor will you be surprised or disappointed to
learn that they are heavy and bulky compared to a little pocket camera,
especially if you're using two or more lenses and perhaps also carrying a
separate flash attachment or maybe even a tripod. The reward at the other
end is that for all your extra trouble you can have more control over your
final results with a camera like that. But to get the most from it you need
to use it a while and gain experience with it. If you acquire it a week
before you take off you may as well go with a good P&S because you'll find
yourself using the "auto" setting on your fancy new DSLR and in that case
you won't be enjoying the creative options built into it. Once you know how
to use a DSLR and that includes knowing how to process your pics on your
computer --- then you'd never want to go back to a pocket camera. But the
fact is there are lots of people carrying DSLR's around today who have no
idea how to benefit from their features.

I don't mean to confuse you but if you feel like you'd enjoy the challenge
then by all means bite the bullet and get the pricier DSLR and whichever
auxiliary attachments you'd like. If not, don't.

Somebody else mentioned batteries. It's a valid point for some types of
cameras but any of the better DSLR's that I'm familiar with come with a
rechargeable battery and there is no option for replaceable AA's or AAA's.
Is this a problem? Not really. Speaking from experience I have carried my
Nikon DSLR's all over China and the US without any battery problems
whatsoever. The cameras will take hundreds of shots per charge. I've only
rarely run out of battery capacity. I don't carry a spare but I could if I
wanted to. I think they run about fifty or sixty bucks USD - I don't know
how many Euros that is.

One other thought: When I'm away from home I carry a portable computer so
that I can download all my pictures onto the hard drive at the end of the
day and start the next day with a clean, empty Compact Flash card. Oh ---
and that's another thing! Storage capacity is very important, especially if
you want to try the challenge of shooting in RAW. RAW files are huge. They
contain a lot more picture information than regular JPEG's. On my Nikon D80
I use a 4.0 Gig SanDisk flash card. That'll hold 326 shots if I shoot in
RAW (Nikon refers to it as .NEF). If I shoot in JPEG Fine that number jumps
to 530 exposures. With JPEG Normal it increases to over 1,000 just on the
one flash card and those numbers sound like a lot, but don't be fooled. If
you carry the camera everywhere and are an enthusiastic shooter you can fill
your flash card's memory in a couple of days. The solution is to either
carry several flash cards or do like I do & carry the computer too. We've
found that is the best answer because I can look at my results at night in
the hotel room. I can even process some or all of them with Photoshop and
kind of "tweak" my exposures for optimal results. I've also got my bank
software loaded on the laptop so when I get to a wi-fi spot or a place where
I can connect to Ethernet via a CAT-5 cable, I can do my banking or even
e-mail some of my pics to friends. One caution about the screens on laptops
though: they're not the greatest for viewing pictures. They may be fine for
typing a letter or doing an Excel document or Power Point presentation but
as far as a device for displaying photographs properly --- uh-uh. They're
lousy. You can view stuff and get general impressions but wait 'til you get
home and see the stuff on a good stand alone monitor. There'll be a major
difference.
--
Pat Durkin

Old 05-04-2008, 02:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Paddy's Pig wrote:

One other thought: When I'm away from home I carry a portable
computer so that I can download all my pictures onto the hard drive
at the end of the day and start the next day with a clean, empty
Compact Flash card. Oh --- and that's another thing! Storage
capacity is very important, especially if you want to try the
challenge of shooting in RAW.

snipped for brevity

I always carry spare batteries in my camera bag.
Also I can't be bothered lugging a laptop so I invested in an X-Drive Pro
(small portable hard drive). When I'm away I down load my photos every
night, then clear the card, ready for the next day. That way each day's
shooting is in a separate folder, making it easier to sort them, once I
return home. It's small and very convenient. The only drawback with mine,
being an older one, you can't see the photos on the drive, unless you have
an access to a computer whilst away. The newer ones have a preview and you
can see the photos.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Dave" wrote in message
Get something that uses AA batteries and the best rechargeable AAs
that I found are the new Hybrid ones that several vendors now make.

I have a canon 350D with two recharable batts.
No problom when abroud, just be sure to have a spare one that is well
charged up.

We don't travel abroad normally, I expect the cruise ship to have 240 or 12v
outlets into which we can plug our charger/s.

Mary
Leeds UK

Old 05-04-2008, 09:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

If by "SLR manual" you mean a 35mm film Single Lens Reflex with
interchangeable lenses then you won't be intimidated by a modern Digital
Single Lens Reflex (DSLR), nor will you be surprised or disappointed to
learn that they are heavy and bulky compared to a little pocket camera,
especially if you're using two or more lenses and perhaps also carrying a
separate flash attachment or maybe even a tripod.

A tripod is essential, not more than two extra lenses, perhaps flash (we'll
have almost 24hour daylight!) but since we shan't be trekking carrying even
a heavy camera bag won't be for long.

The reward at the other end is that for all your extra trouble you can
have more control over your final results with a camera like that.

That's what I hoped. I've been inspired to go back to 'real' photography by
you and Barbara especially and since I spend very little money on myself why
shouldn't I be self indulgent?

But to get the most from it you need to use it a while and gain experience
with it.

Of course. I'm certainly out of practice.

If you acquire it a week before you take off you may as well go with a
good P&S because you'll find yourself using the "auto" setting on your
fancy new DSLR and in that case you won't be enjoying the creative options
built into it. Once you know how to use a DSLR and that includes knowing
how to process your pics on your computer --- then you'd never want to go
back to a pocket camera.

That's what I thought too. And that's why I'm asking now, with almost four
months before we go.

But the fact is there are lots of people carrying DSLR's around today who
have no idea how to benefit from their features.

That's always true of technology of all kinds :-(

I don't mean to confuse you but if you feel like you'd enjoy the challenge
then by all means bite the bullet and get the pricier DSLR and whichever
auxiliary attachments you'd like. If not, don't.

Right, I shall!

Somebody else mentioned batteries. It's a valid point for some types of
cameras but any of the better DSLR's that I'm familiar with come with a
rechargeable battery and there is no option for replaceable AA's or AAA's.
Is this a problem? Not really. Speaking from experience I have carried
my Nikon DSLR's all over China and the US without any battery problems
whatsoever. The cameras will take hundreds of shots per charge. I've
only rarely run out of battery capacity. I don't carry a spare but I
could if I wanted to. I think they run about fifty or sixty bucks USD - I
don't know how many Euros that is.

We're in Britain - don't use Euros. Sterling rules OK :-)

One other thought: When I'm away from home I carry a portable computer so
that I can download all my pictures onto the hard drive at the end of the
day and start the next day with a clean, empty Compact Flash card.

That's something I set my heart against. I know that if I had a portable I'd
take it with me when we camp and I really don't want to spend time in front
of a screen when I could be enjoying a different place or different company.
I prefer to party :-)

Oh --- and that's another thing! Storage capacity is very important,
especially if you want to try the challenge of shooting in RAW. RAW files
are huge.

Still no idea what RAW is ... I'll have to loook it up.

They contain a lot more picture information than regular JPEG's. On my
Nikon D80 I use a 4.0 Gig SanDisk flash card. That'll hold 326 shots if I
shoot in RAW (Nikon refers to it as .NEF). If I shoot in JPEG Fine that
number jumps to 530 exposures.

That would be acceptable for me. Even with my p&s I use JPEG Fine.

With JPEG Normal it increases to over 1,000 just on the one flash card
and those numbers sound like a lot, but don't be fooled. If you carry the
camera everywhere and are an enthusiastic shooter you can fill your flash
card's memory in a couple of days. The solution is to either carry
several flash cards

That's my present solution.

or do like I do & carry the computer too

NO!!!!!

Get the behind me, Satan!

We've found that is the best answer because I can look at my results at
night in the hotel room.

I hope we'll be too busy in the evenings on the cruise - this is going to be
all holiday :-)

Thank you, Pat, I really appreciate your input and feel that I know more now
what I want and what to look for and what to beware of.

Mary

Old 05-04-2008, 09:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Paddy's Pig wrote:

[...]

A portable hard drive - hmm, that's an idea too. Thanks, I'll look into it.

Mary