GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Romneya coulteri (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/174096-romneya-coulteri.html)

Paddy's Pig[_2_] 09-05-2008 12:43 AM

Romneya coulteri

Paddy's Pig[_2_] 09-05-2008 12:44 AM

Romneya coulteri

1 Attachment(s)
"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

Maybe I should include the picture.

Michael[_11_] 09-05-2008 05:48 AM

Romneya coulteri

Paddy's Pig wrote:

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

Maybe I should include the picture.

I'm glad you did.

I'd never have believed otherwise that Mitt and Ann could produce a
beautiful child. ;-)

Mary Fisher 09-05-2008 10:27 AM

Romneya coulteri

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

Maybe I should include the picture.

Is it a poppy?

Whatever it is, it's beautiful and I want some!

Mary
who loves poppies

Michael[_11_] 09-05-2008 02:58 PM

Romneya coulteri

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

Maybe I should include the picture.

Is it a poppy?

Whatever it is, it's beautiful and I want some!

Mary
who loves poppies

Yep, it's a poppy... and a right purty one, too. :-)

http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/587.htm

Mary Fisher 09-05-2008 08:21 PM

Romneya coulteri

"Michael" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

Maybe I should include the picture.

Is it a poppy?

Whatever it is, it's beautiful and I want some!

Mary
who loves poppies

Yep, it's a poppy... and a right purty one, too. :-)

http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/587.htm

I'd already Goooogled and found it to be what we call a tree poppy.

But I haven't any room for a tree poppy ... :-(

Mary

Garrapata 09-05-2008 09:30 PM

Romneya coulteri

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

Maybe I should include the picture.
Is it a poppy?

Whatever it is, it's beautiful and I want some!

Mary
who loves poppies

Yep, it's a poppy... and a right purty one, too. :-)

http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/587.htm

I'd already Goooogled and found it to be what we call a tree poppy.

But I haven't any room for a tree poppy ... :-(

Mary

It's a Matilija Poppy, Tree Poppy is Dendromecon
--

09=ix

someone 10-05-2008 12:26 AM

Romneya coulteri

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

Maybe I should include the picture.
Is it a poppy?

Whatever it is, it's beautiful and I want some!

Mary
who loves poppies

Yep, it's a poppy... and a right purty one, too. :-)

http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/587.htm

I'd already Goooogled and found it to be what we call a tree poppy.

But I haven't any room for a tree poppy ... :-(

Mary

We've had a Matilija in our North Wilts garden for over twenty years, it's a
small shrub (I guess you'd call it), never more than about a metre wide at
the top, but quite tall. Covered with the beautiful white flowers about
4"/20 cm across in mid-late summer. The seed pods seem to be sterile, I've
never managed to collect any seeds at all in all this time. Or maybe they
need another one nearby to pollinate them, and there aren't any. Dunno.

someone

Mary Fisher 10-05-2008 11:22 AM

Romneya coulteri

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

Maybe I should include the picture.
Is it a poppy?

Whatever it is, it's beautiful and I want some!

Mary
who loves poppies

Yep, it's a poppy... and a right purty one, too. :-)

http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/587.htm

I'd already Goooogled and found it to be what we call a tree poppy.

But I haven't any room for a tree poppy ... :-(

Mary

It's a Matilija Poppy, Tree Poppy is Dendromecon

Perhaps the English local name is tree poppy ... :-)

Mary
--

09=ix

Mary Fisher 10-05-2008 11:23 AM

Romneya coulteri

"someone" wrote in message

We've had a Matilija in our North Wilts garden for over twenty years, it's
a small shrub (I guess you'd call it), never more than about a metre wide
at the top, but quite tall. Covered with the beautiful white flowers
about 4"/20 cm across in mid-late summer. The seed pods seem to be
sterile, I've never managed to collect any seeds at all in all this time.
Or maybe they need another one nearby to pollinate them, and there aren't
any. Dunno.

someone

Pity you're in the north, I'd have called to see it next time we visit a son
in Chippenham.

Mary