GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Spring Flowers-9116 (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/174429-spring-flowers-9116-a.html)

Marutchi[_3_] 16-05-2008 01:00 PM

Spring Flowers-9116

1 Attachment(s)
Lucerne, Switzerland.

wendy7 16-05-2008 04:18 PM

Spring Flowers-9116

Neat, neat, neat! I love lions, wonder what the latin inscription says?
Cheers Wendy
"Marutchi" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote in message
Lucerne, Switzerland.

Bob Hobden 16-05-2008 06:19 PM

Spring Flowers-9116

"Wendy7" wrote ...
Neat, neat, neat! I love lions, wonder what the latin inscription says?

I think the meaning is something like ..

Helvetorum ( accusingly, men from Helvet) these are loyal and courageous
guardians

But that's only a guess.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Marutchi[_3_] 17-05-2008 02:20 AM

Spring Flowers-9116

1 Attachment(s)
Wendy7 wrote:
Neat, neat, neat! I love lions, wonder what the latin inscription
says? Cheers Wendy

It's a tribute to some Swiss army soldiers who died trying to protect the
French Royal family.

http://travelguide.all-about-switzer...s-history.html

A Close up, it has some blossoms in it so I guess it's on topic. :-)

Marutchi[_3_] 17-05-2008 02:20 AM

Spring Flowers-9116

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Wendy7" wrote ...
Neat, neat, neat! I love lions, wonder what the latin inscription
says?

I think the meaning is something like ..

Helvetorum ( accusingly, men from Helvet) these are loyal and
courageous guardians

But that's only a guess.

Pretty close guess, just the same. :-)

Bob Williams[_3_] 17-05-2008 09:26 AM

Spring Flowers-9116

Wendy7 wrote:
Neat, neat, neat! I love lions, wonder what the latin inscription says?
Cheers Wendy
"Marutchi" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote in message
Lucerne, Switzerland.

More on the Dying Lion Monument in Lucerne.
Bob
See:
http://travelguide.all-about-switzer...s-history.html

Bob Williams[_3_] 17-05-2008 09:29 AM

Spring Flowers-9116

Bob Williams wrote:
Wendy7 wrote:
Neat, neat, neat! I love lions, wonder what the latin inscription says?
Cheers Wendy
"Marutchi" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote in message
Lucerne, Switzerland.

More on the Dying Lion Monument in Lucerne.
Bob
See:
http://travelguide.all-about-switzer...s-history.html

OOPS!
I didn't read all the responses before I fired off the same URL as
Barbara.......Mea Culpa.
Bob