GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Poison Oak (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/174839-poison-oak.html)

Paddy's Pig[_3_] 21-05-2008 01:04 AM

Poison Oak

1 Attachment(s)
Very, very bad stuff. Leaves of three...let it be.
--
Pat Durkin

Mary Fisher 21-05-2008 10:02 AM

Poison Oak

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
Very, very bad stuff. Leaves of three...let it be.
--
Pat Durkin

I've never seen that!

Mary

Charles[_1_] 21-05-2008 10:23 AM

Poison Oak

On Wed, 21 May 2008 10:02:07 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
Very, very bad stuff. Leaves of three...let it be.
--
Pat Durkin

I've never seen that!

Mary

Years ago I read an article that this plant was grown in Great Britain
as an ornamental plant. Seemed to me a strange thing to do, the
allergic reactions to the plant's oils can be quite unpleasant.

Garrapata 21-05-2008 08:17 PM

Poison Oak

1 Attachment(s)

wrote:

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
Very, very bad stuff. Leaves of three...let it be.
--
Pat Durkin

I've never seen that!

Mary

Years ago I read an article that this plant was grown in Great Britain
as an ornamental plant. Seemed to me a strange thing to do, the
allergic reactions to the plant's oils can be quite unpleasant.

I t is a very pretty plant, glossy green leaves that start turning red
in late summer. It has aerial roots and climbs like Ivy. If there is
nothing to climb it will spread and form large patches.
I've seen pictures of it covering the side of a house in England.
I've seen tourists picking armloads of the pretty red branches.

Here it is dormant at Pt Lobos, Monterey County Calif
--

09=ix

Moe Jones 21-05-2008 08:46 PM

Poison Oak

Paddy's Pig wrote:
Very, very bad stuff. Leaves of three...let it be.

Is that Posion Ivy and not Posion Oak?
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

MadCow 22-05-2008 08:14 PM

Poison Oak

In message , Garrapata
writes

I've seen pictures of it covering the side of a house in England.
I've seen tourists picking armloads of the pretty red branches.

I've never seen it.

If you see a house in Britain covered with something climbing that turns
red in autumn, it'll either be Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus
quinquefolia) or Boston Strangler (P tricuspidata) - both North
American, they climb by suckers and can grow prodigiously here.

A web search for UK references to poison oak found some medicinal and
foreign ones, and Pat's picture!

--
Sue ]:(:)

Paddy's Pig[_3_] 22-05-2008 08:46 PM

Poison Oak

1 Attachment(s)
"Moe Jones" wrote in message
Paddy's Pig wrote:
Very, very bad stuff. Leaves of three...let it be.

Is that Posion Ivy and not Posion Oak?

No. It's poison oak Moe. The sign below was driven into the ground amidst
a whole bunch of it. Don't be confused by the hanging leaves overhead.
They're on a tree.
--
Pat Durkin