GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bumble Bee on Sea Oxeye (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/176500-bumble-bee-sea-oxeye.html)

3Putt in Coastal SC 01-07-2008 09:42 PM

Bumble Bee on Sea Oxeye

1 Attachment(s)

bill 02-07-2008 05:51 AM

Bumble Bee on Sea Oxeye

"3Putt in Coastal SC" wrote in message

I love this shot !!!! Did you have to wait long for that bee to hold still ?

Bill

3Putt in Coastal SC 02-07-2008 12:19 PM

Bumble Bee on Sea Oxeye

Thanks. No, he cooperated nicely.

"bill" wrote in message

"3Putt in Coastal SC" wrote in message

I love this shot !!!! Did you have to wait long for that bee to hold still
?

Bill

Mary Fisher 02-07-2008 05:09 PM

Bumble Bee on Sea Oxeye

"3Putt in Coastal SC" wrote in message
Thanks. No, he cooperated nicely.

Ahem.

*She* co-operated nicely.

As we wimmin always do ... :-)

Mary

3Putt in Coastal SC 02-07-2008 08:48 PM

Bumble Bee on Sea Oxeye

She? it? he?

t...

Mary Fisher 03-07-2008 09:16 AM

Bumble Bee on Sea Oxeye

"3Putt in Coastal SC" wrote in message
She? it? he?

There are three 'castes' in bumble bees as in honey bees and social wasps.
The Queen, who once the nest is established won't forage any more, the
workers - sterile females - who do the foraging and the male drones, who
hang about on the main drag waiting for a nice bit of skirt. Just like human
lads.

A foraging bee at any time of year will be a female, whether the mother of
the colony or one of her daughters.

A bee is never 'it' - any more than a human is.

Mary

3Putt in Coastal SC 03-07-2008 12:07 PM

Bumble Bee on Sea Oxeye

Interesting. I shall endeavor to do more research before I accuse any
species of being an "it".

Mary Fisher 03-07-2008 12:45 PM

Bumble Bee on Sea Oxeye

"3Putt in Coastal SC" wrote in message
Interesting. I shall endeavor to do more research before I accuse any
species of being an "it".

If you don't you'll be in trouble with the pc brigade :-)

Mary