GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/176845-help.html)

Bob Hobden 14-07-2008 02:04 PM

help

"patbu" wrote
i have grown a yellow flower from seed,it is about 1 metre tall and the
base covers about 18 ins, the flowers bloom in the evening and then die
off through the course of the next day,someone told me it was a day lily
but the pictures i have look at have differant leaves to mine ,i dont
know how to add photos for help with identifing this plant HELP.

I notice you posted via Gardenbanter instead of direct to this newsgroup,
and I understand Gardenbanter have a system where you can post photos to
their server and then post a link to it here (or better still on the
newsgroup uk.rec.gardening. seeing as you are in the UK)
Alternatively, if you want to start posting direct and use Outlook Express
or Microsoft Mail, once on Newsgroups (see Tools) and subscribed to the
relevant Ng you can attach a file (your photo reduced to below 500kb) to a
post by going to "Insert" etc.

If you need more info let me know.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

patbu 14-07-2008 03:06 PM

help

Mary Fisher 14-07-2008 07:53 PM

help

"beccabunga" wrote in message

patbu;803858 Wrote:
i have grown a yellow flower from seed,it is about 1 metre tall and the
base covers about 18 ins, the flowers bloom in the evening and then die
off through the course of the next day,someone told me it was a day lily
but the pictures i have look at have differant leaves to mine ,i dont
know how to add photos for help with identifing this plant HELP.

Sounds like an evening primrose - Oenothera http://tinyurl.com/5kyx9f

My dad always told me that the evening primrose was so called because its
flowers only opened in the evening. That hasn't been my experience.

Mary

beccabunga 14-07-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patbu (Post 803858)

patbu 15-07-2008 01:09 PM

thanks for your help,looking at photos of OENOTHERA this is deffinately the plant i have.

Mary Fisher 15-07-2008 05:58 PM

help

"patbu" wrote in message

My dad always told me that the evening primrose was so called because
its
flowers only opened in the evening. That hasn't been my experience.

Mary

thanks for your help,looking at photos of OENOTHERA this is deffinately
the plant i have.

Since I posted the above I Googled too and compared the pictures with the
actual flowers I can see in next door's garden.

They're open all day long. Probably all night too - and the individual
blooms last for several days.

Mary