GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ID Please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/177781-id-please.html)

Dave D 12-08-2008 10:13 AM

ID Please

1 Attachment(s)
A small shrub about 2 foot high. Foliage has appearance and smell of mint.
It came from a cutting I was given this year by somebody in Belgium who did
not know its name. I cannot find a record of a red flowered menthe.
Regards.
Dave.

Bob Hobden 12-08-2008 05:13 PM

ID Please

"Dave D" wrote ...
A small shrub about 2 foot high. Foliage has appearance and smell of mint.
It came from a cutting I was given this year by somebody in Belgium who did
not know its name. I cannot find a record of a red flowered menthe.

Looks like Salvia coccinea, or a variety of, to me.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

beccabunga 12-08-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave D (Post 809445)
A small shrub about 2 foot high. Foliage has appearance and smell of mint.
It came from a cutting I was given this year by somebody in Belgium who did
not know its name. I cannot find a record of a red flowered menthe.
Regards.
Dave.

It's one of the salvias, possibly salvia coccinea.

Dave D 12-08-2008 10:35 PM

ID Please

"beccabunga" wrote in message

Dave D;809445 Wrote:
A small shrub about 2 foot high. Foliage has appearance and smell of
mint.
It came from a cutting I was given this year by somebody in Belgium who
did
not know its name. I cannot find a record of a red flowered menthe.
Regards.
Dave.

It's one of the salvias, possibly salvia coccinea.

--
beccabunga

A big thank you to Bob Hobden and beccabunga. The smell of mint threw me
and I did not think salvia. I have been trying for weeks to find a mint
with red flowers. Just a few feet from this plant in my garden is a large
Salvia officinalis and of course the fragrance is very similar. Thanks also
to Sj for your kind words. The camera used was a Canon A620 and I just took
the picture using the Auto mode with closeup, so nothing clever on my part.

Regards and thanks again to all.
Dave