GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can Someone Please Tell Me What This Is ??? (3 Photos) (0/1) (0/1) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/178707-can-someone-please-tell-me-what-3-photos-0-1-0-1-a.html)

[email protected] 19-09-2008 12:07 PM

Can Someone Please Tell Me What This Is ??? (3 Photos) (0/1) (0/1)

Can someone please tell me what this is?

I live in Western North Carolina, and this (so far) small tree is
taking over an old growth white pine forest. The white flowers came
out in mid-October, and were extremely fragrant, almost like night
blooming jasmine. They fell off, and a green fruit developed, about
the size of a pea, that looked like a tiny green tomato, surrounded by
green leaves. Then the leaves turned pink, and the fruit turned the
color of ripe blueberries, and then deep purple like a grape, as in
the photos.

From the shape of the leave and all the other characteristics of the
plant it seems to be some kind of Basswood. But I've scoured the net,
and can't find any Basswood with this purple fruit with pink leaves.

The picture of the white flowers was taken last month, and the
pictures of the purple berries was taken yesterday.

Any help appreciated.

Scandler

Garrapata 19-09-2008 08:22 PM

Can Someone Please Tell Me What This Is ??? (3 Photos) (0/1) (0/1)

A Clerodendron?
--

09=ix

Bob Hobden 19-09-2008 09:46 PM

Can Someone Please Tell Me What This Is ??? (3 Photos) (0/1) (0/1)

"Garrapata" wrote...
A Clerodendron?

Clerodendron trichotomum var. fargesii even.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Wolf Kirchmeir[_3_] 20-09-2008 12:20 AM

wrote:
Can someone please tell me what this is?

No photos visible here. If they were attached to your post, they were
stripped out (probably by my news server.)

[...]

--
Wolf Kirchmeir

[email protected] 20-09-2008 07:35 PM

Can Someone Please Tell Me What This Is ??? (3 Photos) (0/1) (0/1)

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:46:35 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Garrapata" wrote...
A Clerodendron?

Clerodendron trichotomum var. fargesii even.

By God, you guys are amazing! I've worn myself out trying to find out
what this is, and BOOM!, just like that, you nail it.

Thanks a whole lot.

And Wolf, BTW, yes, I upgraded to Agent 4.2 recently, and haven't
posted any attachments till now, and it didn't keep my old settings to
NOT send text message as a preface.

Scandler