Old 06-12-2008, 01:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Poinisana Flowers-9266

Attached Thumbnails
Poinisana Flowers-9266-b-9266-poinsiana-05-12-08-30-40.jpg
Old 06-12-2008, 02:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Very beautiful - thank you.

wildbill.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Very pretty, Barbara. It makes me thinks of a hand-painted silk scarf.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wild1bill wrote:
Very beautiful - thank you.

No worries, thank you Bill.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Basketweaver wrote:
Very pretty, Barbara. It makes me thinks of a hand-painted silk scarf.

Thanks Pam, nature's Christmas decorations. :-)

Old 06-12-2008, 04:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

BarbaraH wrote

The first time I saw these trees was in Jamaica, huge trees covered in red
flowers with the most delicate foliage. I couldn't believe it and having
seen them almost everywhere tropical we have been I still think them hard to
beat.
I read somewhere that all those in cultivation came from a single tree in a
village in Madagascar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Poinciana

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-12-2008, 08:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Maroochy" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote in message

That is beautiful, if all the red is blossom I've never seen anything like
it. So few leaves!

Thanks,

Mary

Old 07-12-2008, 08:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Hobden wrote:
BarbaraH wrote

The first time I saw these trees was in Jamaica, huge trees covered
in red flowers with the most delicate foliage. I couldn't believe it
and having seen them almost everywhere tropical we have been I still
think them hard to beat.
I read somewhere that all those in cultivation came from a single
tree in a village in Madagascar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Poinciana

I knew they were from Madagascar, but didn't realise they came from one
tree.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mary Fisher wrote:

That is beautiful, if all the red is blossom I've never seen anything
like it. So few leaves!

They are semi deciduous, they flower before growing new leaves, they make a
beautiful display around this time of year and once they leaf out, make for
beautiful shade trees.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mary Fisher wrote:

That is beautiful, if all the red is blossom I've never seen anything
like it. So few leaves!

They are semi deciduous, they flower before growing new leaves, they make
a beautiful display around this time of year and once they leaf out, make
for beautiful shade trees.

Is it in your garden?

Mary

Old 07-12-2008, 11:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mary Fisher wrote:

Is it in your garden?

Yep, actually I should never have planted in the back yard, it's rather
large for a normal sized block such as ours.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mary Fisher wrote:

Is it in your garden?

Yep, actually I should never have planted in the back yard, it's rather
large for a normal sized block such as ours.

Well perhaps, but would you cut it down?

We've just had to cut down a rather nice holly which I'd made into a
standard, with a pyramidical crown. It never bore berries but it gave us
pleasure and occasionlly blackbirds nested in it (and were sometimes
predated by magpies). At Christmas we draped it with tiny twinkling lights
which we could see from the back of the house when indoors.

It will grow from the base again but we feel bad every time we see that
space :-(

I don't think I could have cut down anything as lovely as your poinsana.
Never heard of it before, either.

Mary

Old 07-12-2008, 11:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mary Fisher wrote:
Well perhaps, but would you cut it down?

No, I like it too much. :-)

We've just had to cut down a rather nice holly which I'd made into a
standard, with a pyramidical crown. It never bore berries but it gave
us pleasure and occasionlly blackbirds nested in it (and were
sometimes predated by magpies). At Christmas we draped it with tiny
twinkling lights which we could see from the back of the house when
indoors.
It will grow from the base again but we feel bad every time we see
that space :-(

I don't think I could have cut down anything as lovely as your
poinsana. Never heard of it before, either.

We had to get a tree lopper in to cut it back where it was growing over the
neighbour's yard, other then that we've let it go, the birds love it. :-)
BTW I spelt the name wrong, it's 'poinciana'.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:45 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Fisher View Post
Mary Fisher wrote:

Is it in your garden?

Yep, actually I should never have planted in the back yard, it's rather
large for a normal sized block such as ours.

Well perhaps, but would you cut it down?

We've just had to cut down a rather nice holly which I'd made into a
standard, with a pyramidical crown. It never bore berries but it gave us
pleasure and occasionlly blackbirds nested in it (and were sometimes
predated by magpies). At Christmas we draped it with tiny twinkling lights
which we could see from the back of the house when indoors.

It will grow from the base again but we feel bad every time we see that
space :-(

I don't think I could have cut down anything as lovely as your poinsana.
Never heard of it before, either.

Mary

hi what a beaut photo/tree. is the botanical name Delonix regia? i live in tropical Queensland Aus. and they are quite common but still spectacular when in flower and they are unrivalled as a shade tree, just looking at the delicate fernlike folliage has a cooling/calming effect.The one problem with them is they produce large root systems that can break the surface of soil around base of tree thus creating trip hazards and various other probs.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

kris anthem um wrote:

hi what a beaut photo/tree. is the botanical name Delonix regia? i
live in tropical Queensland Aus. and they are quite common but still
spectacular when in flower and they are unrivalled as a shade tree,
just looking at the delicate fernlike folliage has a cooling/calming
effect.The one problem with them is they produce large root systems
that can break the surface of soil around base of tree thus creating
trip hazards and various other probs.

Thanks, yes it is and I'm in SE Qld. :-)
Yes the roots can cause some problems, but the beauty of the tree, surpasses
the problems. :-)