Old 12-12-2008, 06:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default One of my little pals

Attached Thumbnails
One of my little pals-one-my-little-pals.jpg
Old 12-12-2008, 07:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Paddy's Pig" wrote:

begin One of my little pals.jpg
[Image]

end

Show off! Mine are all gone now, off to South America. I
won't see them again until March.

--
8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~
Old 12-12-2008, 10:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

Hello! Good to see you - and him/her - again :-)

Am I right in thinking it's a rufus? I want to make sure it's in the right
file.

Mary

Old 12-12-2008, 04:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paddy's Pig" wrote:

begin One of my little pals.jpg
[Image]

end

Show off! Mine are all gone now, off to South America. I
won't see them again until March.

Hahahaha!

Yeah I guess I am a showoff. I'm sorry to hear yours are gone but it's only
temporary Suzie.

Mine are apparently a different breed. Here in my backyard (Southern
California) we have mostly Anna's Hummingbirds and they don't migrate.
They're year-round residents. That's what this little fellow is.
--
Pat Durkin

Old 12-12-2008, 04:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

Hello! Good to see you - and him/her - again :-)

Hi Mary. Yeah - this is a him.

Am I right in thinking it's a rufus? I want to make sure it's in the right
file.

No this is an Anna's Hummer. The Rufus is sort of a coppery color and its
gorget is a different color.

Actually it's sort of hard to tell what color this bird is in these two
shots because the lighting was far from ideal. It was darkening late
afternoon. The setting sun was behind him - making all his front side in a
shadow area - so he looks more like a flying silhouette than the colorful
little 3-dimensional creature he is.

Anyway, I'll tell him you said hello.
--
Pat Durkin

Old 12-12-2008, 04:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
news

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Am I right in thinking it's a rufus? I want to make sure it's in the
right
file.

Here's a Rufus.
--
Pat Durkin

Attached Thumbnails
One of my little pals-rufus.jpg
Old 12-12-2008, 04:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

Here's a Rufus.

All hummingbirds are great flyers but according to what I've read the Rufus
can outfly all of them. Hummingbird males are very territorial and
aggressive towards other males. The male Rufus can bully other breeds like
the Anna's or the Costa's that also inhabit my area.

I'm sure it's dead serious for them but to me it just looks like they're
playing tag and having fun.
--
Pat Durkin

Old 12-12-2008, 07:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

news

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

Hello! Good to see you - and him/her - again :-)

Hi Mary. Yeah - this is a him.

Am I right in thinking it's a rufus? I want to make sure it's in the
right file.

No this is an Anna's Hummer. The Rufus is sort of a coppery color and its
gorget is a different color.

Oh bugger, I'll have to move him to another folder. But he did look coppery

Actually it's sort of hard to tell what color this bird is in these two
shots because the lighting was far from ideal. It was darkening late
afternoon. The setting sun was behind him - making all his front side in
a shadow area - so he looks more like a flying silhouette than the
colorful little 3-dimensional creature he is.

Anyway, I'll tell him you said hello.

Thanks :-)

Mary

Old 12-12-2008, 07:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
news

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Am I right in thinking it's a rufus? I want to make sure it's in the
right
file.

Here's a Rufus.
--
Pat Durkin

Excuse me, I don't want to offend you, but that looks artificial!

Mary

Old 12-12-2008, 08:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Excuse me, I don't want to offend you, but that looks artificial!

Wait 'til I tell him Mrs. Claus says he's a fake.
--
Pat Durkin

Old 13-12-2008, 04:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Paddy's Pig" wrote:

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paddy's Pig" wrote:

begin One of my little pals.jpg
[Image]

end

Show off! Mine are all gone now, off to South America. I
won't see them again until March.

Hahahaha!

Yeah I guess I am a showoff. I'm sorry to hear yours are gone but it's only
temporary Suzie.

Mine are apparently a different breed. Here in my backyard (Southern
California) we have mostly Anna's Hummingbirds and they don't migrate.
They're year-round residents. That's what this little fellow is.

I would have guessed a rufous because of the coloring. But I guess
they've gone to florida by now.

--
8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~
Old 13-12-2008, 09:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Excuse me, I don't want to offend you, but that looks artificial!

Wait 'til I tell him Mrs. Claus says he's a fake.

Send him round, I'll fix him to the tree!

Mary

Old 13-12-2008, 09:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message

I would have guessed a rufous because of the coloring. But I guess
they've gone to florida by now.

Ah, so I'm not alone,

Mary