Old 12-12-2008, 06:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default My buddy

Attached Thumbnails
My buddy-my-buddy.jpg
Old 12-12-2008, 02:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Paddy's Pig wrote:

Confident li'l guy, isn't he?

--
Wolf Kirchmeir
Old 12-12-2008, 03:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
Paddy's Pig wrote:

Confident li'l guy, isn't he?

Confident? Yeah that's a good word for them. They're sure not bashful.

And if I've neglected refilling their feeders for a day or two they'll come
over and hover right outside my office or my breakfast nook and look inside
the house --- as if they're saying "Hey! Get off your butt and come out and
feed us!"

And they follow me around like I'm Santa Claus. A few months ago I was
maybe 10 to 12 feet inside the building when I heard a kind of familiar whir
behind my right shoulder. It went on for 20 or so seconds and I had my eyes
focused on what I was doing inside the passenger side door but I was
thinking to myself gee - that sounds like one of the hummers! I turned
around and sure enough there the little guy was. I guess he was supervising
me or something. I waved at him and walked to the back of the car where I
was loading a cooler in my trunk. I opened the trunk and he came forward to
check it out and see if I had any goodies in there for him. Then he backed
up so I could finish what I was doing.

All in all he must have been in there at least a minute looking at anything
that interested him.

Somebody commented that in his experience hummers get claustrophobic and
confused inside a building. He said one had been in his garage a few years
ago and it flew around aimlessly and couldn't find the way out.

I sure didn't see any of that behavior. The bird had no trouble navigating
his way around. When he got bored with me he buzzed right back outside.
--
Pat Durkin

Old 12-12-2008, 06:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Hi there Pat,
Was thinking of you & your hummers when we had the fires up your way!

I still have not been able to capture shots like yours & my birds seem to be
more grey & green with the red throat? Have not taken any with a flash tho?

I am saving your pic of the Rufus to compare also love the stories about the
photos.

Keep up the good work,
Cheers Wendy

Old 12-12-2008, 07:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

That's a nice story, Pat, but you're definitely not Santa Claus, I'm married
to the real one :-)

Mary

Attached Thumbnails
My buddy-its-real-.jpg

Old 12-12-2008, 08:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

That's a nice story, Pat, but you're definitely not Santa Claus, I'm
married to the real one :-)

Hahahahaha! Okay Mrs. Claus. )

I'll tell my birds too.
--
Pat Durkin

Old 13-12-2008, 02:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Wendy7 wrote:
Hi there Pat,
Was thinking of you & your hummers when we had the fires up your way!

A perhaps not irrelevant note:

For the Anishnabe (Ojibway), the hummingbird is a symbol of courage.

We're always delighted when they return - and start fighting over
territory. ;-) Our garden is a prime food source, it seems.

HTH

--
Wolf Kirchmeir