Old 02-05-2009, 02:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Full Blown Epiphyllum Flower

I think Epis are one of the most beautiful, exotic and showy flowers on
the planet. Some varieties also have a delightful aroma too.
Too bad they only last for a day or two..........Sigh
Bob Williams

Attached Thumbnails
Full Blown Epiphyllum Flower-epi-050109-m.jpg
Old 02-05-2009, 03:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 01 May 2009 18:02:14 -0700, Bob Williams
wrote:

I think Epis are one of the most beautiful, exotic and showy flowers on
the planet. Some varieties also have a delightful aroma too.
Too bad they only last for a day or two..........Sigh
Bob Williams

They are magnificent flowers. Nice photo too.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Yours are ahead of mine Bob or maybe your plant is an early bloomer?
I repotted a lot of mine last year so not sure what kind of bloom production
I will get. Have heard they like to be rootbound?
Looking forward to more pics.
Cheers Wendy

Old 03-05-2009, 04:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

I don't know why, but they DO like to be REALLY crowded.
A few years ago I bought some cuttings at the San Diego Epiphyllum Show.
I planted most of them in individual, marked pots.
They didn't do so well.
The others I just stuck in a big pot with some mature plants. They did
much better......Go figure.
Bob

Old 03-05-2009, 11:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Williams" wrote...
: The others I just stuck in a big pot with some mature plants.
: They did much better......Go figure.

Some plants benefit other plants. In addition, some plants require
bacterial support in order to reproduce, flower or even grow at all.

We all seem to know that beans create some sort of bacteria that
benefits the leaf growing nature of many other plants.

It was shown prior to 1975 that Arabidopsis thaliana gets corrected
of a thiamine deficiency by bacteria that supports the missing thi-
amine.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...57565/abstract

There's a PDF link there to the full text of the article. I found
a reference to it in a book copyrighted 1975, Companion Planting
for Successful Gardening, under a section titled DNA.

--
Jim Carlock

Old 04-05-2009, 08:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Jim Carlock wrote:
"Bob Williams" wrote...
: The others I just stuck in a big pot with some mature plants.
: They did much better......Go figure.

Some plants benefit other plants. In addition, some plants require
bacterial support in order to reproduce, flower or even grow at all.

We all seem to know that beans create some sort of bacteria that
benefits the leaf growing nature of many other plants.

Verrrrry Interesting!
That is probably what is happening with Epis.
Thanks for the tip.
Bob

Old 04-05-2009, 08:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

I think Epis are one of the most beautiful, exotic and showy flowers on
the planet. Some varieties also have a delightful aroma too.
Too bad they only last for a day or two..........Sigh
Bob Williams

They are magnificent flowers. Nice photo too.

Thanks Joevan....
They are my all-time favorite flower.
Just wish the lasted longer.
Bob