GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Jungle cactus Red (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/183307-jungle-cactus-red.html)

wendy7 05-05-2009 04:30 AM

Jungle cactus Red

1 Attachment(s)
This is the parent plant. Actually it's the Dad as I have another one that
hangs.
Cheers Wendy

Bob Williams[_3_] 05-05-2009 08:25 AM

Jungle cactus Red

Wendy7 wrote:
This is the parent plant. Actually it's the Dad as I have another one
that hangs.
Cheers Wendy

OMG!
That is the most prolific display of Epis I have ever seen.
I had 3 bloom yesterday and was thrilled.
Bob

Jim Carlock[_7_] 06-05-2009 02:40 PM

Jungle cactus Red

: Wendy7 wrote:
: This is the parent plant. Actually it's the Dad as I have another
: one that hangs.
:
: Cheers Wendy
: -------------------------------------------------------------------
:

"Bob Williams" replied...
: That is the most prolific display of Epis I have ever seen.
: I had 3 bloom yesterday and was thrilled.

Maybe Wendy might tell us her secrets in attaining such beauty?

--
Jim Carlock

wendy7 09-05-2009 04:10 PM

Jungle cactus Red

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Bob, Attached is another shot of my Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri AKA
Jungle Cactus, not to be confused with Schombergera's? I still can't tell
the
differance?
Anyway this one is in full bloom now & just realized that the flowers close
up
at night. I have had this plant for more than 30 years! *G*
Cheers Wendy

wendy7 09-05-2009 04:15 PM

Jungle cactus Red

Hi there Jim, I use Oil of Olay!!!! (((LOL)))
No seriously I like to keep things simple so all my plants get 1/4 strength
fert
(15-15-15) at each watering.
Cheers Wendy
"Jim Carlock" wrote in message
ng.com...

Jim Carlock[_7_] 23-05-2009 04:10 AM

Jungle cactus Red

"Wendy7" wrote...
: Hi there Jim, I use Oil of Olay!!!! (((LOL)))

I was going to go out and buy some of that and try it out if it
were not for the (((LOL))).

:
: No seriously I like to keep things simple so all my plants get 1/4
: strength fert (15-15-15) at each watering.

There's a large cactus that blooms only at night (outside the house
here, big white beautiful flowers over 6 inches long). Not sure what
type of cactus it is but perhaps it's the same thing but a bigger
variety?

Coffee grounds and banana peels seems to help it out (seems to make
some extra blooms within a month).

--
Jim Carlock

wendy7 23-05-2009 05:53 PM

Jungle cactus Red & Night Bloomer

1 Attachment(s)
Hmmm? Could be the species Epiphyllum oxypetalum aka Night Blooming Cereus

Jim Carlock[_5_] 25-05-2009 02:51 AM

Jungle cactus Red & Night Bloomer

"Wendy7" wrote...
: Could be the species Epiphyllum oxypetalum aka Night Blooming Cereus

Looks like it could be. Just this one is not a couple inches across.
The branches end up 4 to 6 inches across. The flowers that bloom, with
the stem of the flower end up maybe 9 or so inches long, blooming maybe
six or so inches across.

I think the Epiphyllum oxypetalum looks close. Some of the pictures
make me think that perhaps the branches are only 1.5 inches wide and
not 4 to 6 inches wide. A neighbor has a few of the skinny cactus and
they grow all over the place out of pots, along a fence.

--
Jim Carlock

: "Jim Carlock" wrote...
:
: There's a large cactus that blooms only at night (outside the house
: here, big white beautiful flowers over 6 inches long). Not sure what
: type of cactus it is but perhaps it's the same thing but a bigger
: variety?
:
: Coffee grounds and banana peels seems to help it out (seems to make
: some extra blooms within a month).
:
: --
: Jim Carlock