GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hong Kong Orchid (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/184480-hong-kong-orchid.html)

George Parton 05-06-2009 09:25 PM

Hong Kong Orchid

1 Attachment(s)
This picture from one of our Hong Kong Orchid trees was taken in March.
They dropped all their blooms, went blah for a time and now are
budding out again. (I don't think they are supposed to bloom in summer)
George

Suzie-Q 06-06-2009 01:11 AM

Hong Kong Orchid

In article ,
George Parton wrote:

This picture from one of our Hong Kong Orchid trees was taken in March.
They dropped all their blooms, went blah for a time and now are
budding out again. (I don't think they are supposed to bloom in summer)
George
[Image]

Beautiful. I'm glad you figured it out!

--
8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~

Bob Hobden 06-06-2009 08:03 AM

Hong Kong Orchid

"George Parton" wrote ...
This picture from one of our Hong Kong Orchid trees was taken in March.
They dropped all their blooms, went blah for a time and now are
budding out again. (I don't think they are supposed to bloom in summer)

Bauhinia blakeana is a beautiful small tree and I notice it is supposed to
grow in US Zones that get some frost. Never seen it in this country despite
our mild maritime climate so I imagine it's the cold coupled with our wet
winters that it cannot cope with, rather like Albizia julibrissin.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

George Parton 06-06-2009 08:30 PM

Hong Kong Orchid

Bob Hobden wrote:
"George Parton" wrote ...

This picture from one of our Hong Kong Orchid trees was taken in March.
They dropped all their blooms, went blah for a time and now are
budding out again. (I don't think they are supposed to bloom in summer)

Bauhinia blakeana is a beautiful small tree and I notice it is supposed to
grow in US Zones that get some frost. Never seen it in this country despite
our mild maritime climate so I imagine it's the cold coupled with our wet
winters that it cannot cope with, rather like Albizia julibrissin.

Bob, you are correct. We do get some frost but I am surprised by the
new blooms because we live in Arizona where the summers do not seem much
like spring! However we are currently experiencing much lower than
normal temperatures.
(Please don't tell Al Gore) : )

Thanks for your comments.
George

Bob Hobden 06-06-2009 11:31 PM

Hong Kong Orchid

"George Parton" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"George Parton" wrote ...

This picture from one of our Hong Kong Orchid trees was taken in March.
They dropped all their blooms, went blah for a time and now are
budding out again. (I don't think they are supposed to bloom in summer)

Bauhinia blakeana is a beautiful small tree and I notice it is supposed
to grow in US Zones that get some frost. Never seen it in this country
despite our mild maritime climate so I imagine it's the cold coupled with
our wet winters that it cannot cope with, rather like Albizia
julibrissin.

Bob, you are correct. We do get some frost but I am surprised by the new
blooms because we live in Arizona where the summers do not seem much like
spring! However we are currently experiencing much lower than normal
temperatures.
(Please don't tell Al Gore) : )

Do you get hot summers, like 35C, George? This would harden the new wood to
make it able to cope with the winter cold. We, of course, do not get hot
summers usually, the occasional day at 30C is exceptional.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

George Parton 07-06-2009 02:42 AM

Hong Kong Orchid

Bob Hobden wrote:
"George Parton" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

"George Parton" wrote ...

[...]

Today it is 95F (35C) which is mild for a summer day. We have gotten up
to 122F (50C) which I have seen and experienced. Normally we stay
around 110 mid-summer (50C). We are prepared for it and love being
here. 5% humidity this morning! Come visit.....