Old 16-07-2009, 02:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Help Please ID Purple Flower

I would very much appreciate someone identifying this plant. The photos
were taken in Central Park, NY in July, 2009. The closest I can match it to
is peppermint but the leaf looks too long and slender and smooth on the
edges.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Herb

Attached Thumbnails
Help Please ID Purple Flower-pplflw1.jpg

Old 16-07-2009, 11:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Herb Schneider" wrote ...
I would very much appreciate someone identifying this plant. The photos
were taken in Central Park, NY in July, 2009. The closest I can match it
is peppermint but the leaf looks too long and slender and smooth on the
edges.

Certainly it's a Buddleia davidii variety, take a look at "Attraction" or
maybe "Black Knight" or "Royal Red" if the photo isn't showing true colour.
www.daytonnursery.com/.../Buddleia.htm

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-07-2009, 04:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Radar,

That is definitely the plant!!! Thank you so much for identifying it for
me. I don't know why it isn't listed in my Peterson Field Guide. Do you
have any suggestions as to what you think is a better field guide?

Thanks again, I've been searching for a week to find out what flowere it is
and you identified right away. Impressive...

Herb

Old 17-07-2009, 04:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Thanks to Basketweaver and Bob Hobden as well as Radar for the assistance.
I am a newcomer to this group and I'm very impressed with the friendliness
and cooperation of its members. I hope that sometime I will be able to
reciprocate.

Herb

Old 18-07-2009, 05:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:29:01 -0400, Basketweaver wrote:

Buddleia davidii (commonly called butterfly bush)

"Herb Schneider" wrote in message
I would very much appreciate someone identifying this plant. The photos
were taken in Central Park, NY in July, 2009. The closest I can match
it to
is peppermint but the leaf looks too long and slender and smooth on the
edges.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Herb

It is a weedy/invasive shrub in many parts of the world.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington