Old 31-07-2009, 03:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default In my garden July 10 Red Bee Balm 'Jacob Cline'.JPG (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
In my garden July 10 Red Bee Balm 'Jacob Cline'.JPG (1/1)-red-bee-balm-jacob-cline.jpg
Old 02-08-2009, 08:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 13:58:49 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:23:08 -0500,
ck (Just Plane Noise) wrote:

Gerry,
Your garden is so beautiful. It seems like a big garden, I'm thinking you must in out in the county.
Karen

Yep, out in the town of Clayton. The main garden is about 50 feet
long, but the width varies, averaging around 5 feet. It is backed up
to a septic mound so that it is raised in the front but not in back.
I'll be posting pictures that show bigger sections of it. It gets full
sun all day. As I look at it right now, many plants need to be
moved--there's too much crowding, and too many plants turned out to be
shorter or taller than expected. (I'm not much of a garden designer,
which is why there are so many closeups in my photos!) To alleviate
the crowding, I might mput in another garden this fall so the soil can
settlein time for spring planting.

There are also four smaller beds, each about 7 feet long by 2 feet
wide.

Have you ever seen the gardens of the people south on Larsen Road on
the west side of 76? They're owned by the older couple who used to
have a big strawberry u-pick patch behind their house, which is now a
subdivision of uspscale homes. Every year he has about 100 feet of
lupines come up, followed by all kinds of things (cleomes are big at
present) that separate his gardens from the horse pasture to the
north. He has several huge circular beds that are dominated by
hundreds of cannas. At the back, in another bed, hundreds of
daylilies.

Across 76, part of what had been farmland has become a community
garden that is tended monly by Hmong families. I just can't believe
the high quality of produce they get. Take a drive and see for
yourself, but be careful not to stop on 76--it's dangerous.