Old 15-11-2009, 07:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Humongus Hibiscus

My neighbor owns this Hibiscus plant.
The blossoms are the largest I've ever seen.
I'm not kidding.....They are about 9 inches in diameter
I've also never seen a hibiscus with this type of coloration.
I've gotta find out where he got it and get on
Enjoy........Bob Williams

Old 15-11-2009, 08:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Williams wrote:
My neighbor owns this Hibiscus plant.
The blossoms are the largest I've ever seen.
I'm not kidding.....They are about 9 inches in diameter
I've also never seen a hibiscus with this type of coloration.
I've gotta find out where he got it and get on
Enjoy........Bob Williams

It sure is a beauty Bob and a beaut photo to boot.
We have many of that colour here.

Old 15-11-2009, 09:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Williams" wrote ...
My neighbor owns this Hibiscus plant.
The blossoms are the largest I've ever seen.
I'm not kidding.....They are about 9 inches in diameter
I've also never seen a hibiscus with this type of coloration.
I've gotta find out where he got it and get on
Enjoy........Bob Williams

Take a cutting or two if he will let you.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-11-2009, 09:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Maroochy wrote:
Bob Williams wrote:
My neighbor owns this Hibiscus plant.
The blossoms are the largest I've ever seen.
I'm not kidding.....They are about 9 inches in diameter
I've also never seen a hibiscus with this type of coloration.
I've gotta find out where he got it and get on
Enjoy........Bob Williams

It sure is a beauty Bob and a beaut photo to boot.
We have many of that colour here.

Thanks Barbara.
The Hibiscus should be the official Flower of San Diego, where I live.
They are everywhere....Easy to grow....Prolific bloomer....Hardy...etc.
TYPICALLY, single blooms are about 4-5 inches in diameter and come in
Red, Orange or Yellow. I've seen some doubles with a bit of shading but
never with such a distinct pattern of color.
Maybe this puppy was imported from AUS/NZ. I'll find out.
Here is a nice Yellow I shot yesterday. Pretty typical for S.D.
Bob Williams

Old 15-11-2009, 09:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Bob Williams" wrote ...
My neighbor owns this Hibiscus plant.
The blossoms are the largest I've ever seen.
I'm not kidding.....They are about 9 inches in diameter
I've also never seen a hibiscus with this type of coloration.
I've gotta find out where he got it and get on
Enjoy........Bob Williams

Take a cutting or two if he will let you.

Of Course,
Why didn't I think of that?
Hibiscus do well from cuttings.
I'll bet if I present him with a nice 8x10 of his flowers, he'll gladly
reciprocate with a few cuttings.
Bob

Old 16-11-2009, 05:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Williams" wrote in message
My neighbor owns this Hibiscus plant.
The blossoms are the largest I've ever seen.
I'm not kidding.....They are about 9 inches in diameter
I've also never seen a hibiscus with this type of coloration.
I've gotta find out where he got it and get on
Enjoy........Bob Williams

Excellent photo, Bob.

Breeders have been coming up with some fantastic varieties of Hibiscus.
Several of the varieties we get in at the garden centre where I work have
flowers about 9 or 10 inches across, and some have the most unusual colours
I've ever seen.

This variety is called 'Veronica' and the 8-9" flowers show 4 distinct
colours - white, pink, lavender, and burgundy.

Regards,
Rick A

Attached Thumbnails
Humongus Hibiscus-veronicahibiscus090508.jpg
Old 16-11-2009, 05:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Williams" wrote in message
My neighbor owns this Hibiscus plant.
The blossoms are the largest I've ever seen.
I'm not kidding.....They are about 9 inches in diameter
I've also never seen a hibiscus with this type of coloration.
I've gotta find out where he got it and get on
Enjoy........Bob Williams

Here is another of the large flowered Hibiscus plants we had at the garden
centre where I work.
The flowers on this one were about 6-7" across and the petals seem to
overlap more than usual. The combination of these colours was also new to
me when it came in.

Regards,
Rick A

Attached Thumbnails
Humongus Hibiscus-hibiscus180608.jpg
Old 16-11-2009, 08:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Radar wrote:
"Bob Williams" wrote in message
My neighbor owns this Hibiscus plant.
The blossoms are the largest I've ever seen.
I'm not kidding.....They are about 9 inches in diameter
I've also never seen a hibiscus with this type of coloration.
I've gotta find out where he got it and get on
Enjoy........Bob Williams

Excellent photo, Bob.

Breeders have been coming up with some fantastic varieties of Hibiscus.
Several of the varieties we get in at the garden centre where I work have
flowers about 9 or 10 inches across, and some have the most unusual colours
I've ever seen.

This variety is called 'Veronica' and the 8-9" flowers show 4 distinct
colours - white, pink, lavender, and burgundy.

Regards,
Rick A

Thanks Rick, for the kind words and the "Heads-Up" on the Variety.
I'll check with the local Nurseries to see if they have any.
Bob
P.S. Your shot below is a Stunner.

[IMG] code is On

Yellow hibiscus 23 Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:05 AM
Hibiscus-2656 Maroochy Garden Photos 4 01-04-2009 01:11 AM
hibiscus bushes alicia Gardening 1 01-09-2003 04:12 PM
Hibiscus seeds TakeThisOut Gardening 2 20-03-2003 03:44 PM
Hibiscus pruning T.L.Miller Gardening 0 26-01-2003 01:54 PM