Old 17-04-2010, 04:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Ping Pat - Humming Bird Chicks

Hi Pat, Going by the date on your photo of the hatchings, it is 19 or 20
days no?
So the chicks should fledge in a day or two.
Keep an eye out as it's a wonderful sight to see them trying to fly & would
be
great if you could capture them on movie!
Cheers Wendy

Old 17-04-2010, 05:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Wendy7" wrote in message

Hi Pat, Going by the date on your photo of the hatchings, it is 19 or 20
days no?

I haven't done the math but that sounds about right.

So the chicks should fledge in a day or two.

Most likely.

Keep an eye out as it's a wonderful sight to see them trying to fly &
would be great if you could capture them on movie!

Yeah that'd be fun. My new camera has movie capabilities but I don't know
how to operate that part of it yet. I'm a still photographer. (

Oh well maybe I can get some stills. Here's a nice portrait of the kids
from yesterday.
--
Pat Durkin

Attached Thumbnails
Ping Pat re:- Humming Bird Chicks-baby-rufous-hummers-2.jpg
Old 18-04-2010, 05:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 09:02:46 -0700, Paddy's Pig wrote:

"Wendy7" wrote in message

Hi Pat, Going by the date on your photo of the hatchings, it is 19 or
20 days no?

I haven't done the math but that sounds about right.

So the chicks should fledge in a day or two.

Most likely.

Keep an eye out as it's a wonderful sight to see them trying to fly &
would be great if you could capture them on movie!

Yeah that'd be fun. My new camera has movie capabilities but I don't
know how to operate that part of it yet. I'm a still photographer. (

Oh well maybe I can get some stills. Here's a nice portrait of the kids
from yesterday.

What is the black stuff on the leaves?

Great H bird pix.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 18-04-2010, 06:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Travis" wrote in message
news
What is the black stuff on the leaves?

You shouldn't have asked. Baby hummingbird poop.

Great H bird pix.

Thanks Travis.
--
Pat Durkin

Old 19-04-2010, 08:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:02:04 -0700, Paddy's Pig wrote:

"Travis" wrote in message
news
What is the black stuff on the leaves?

You shouldn't have asked. Baby hummingbird poop.

Great H bird pix.

Thanks Travis.

So I guess the mother picks it out of the nest and throws it up and it stcks on the leaves?

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 19-04-2010, 08:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Travis" wrote in message
news
Great H bird pix.

Thanks Travis.

So I guess the mother picks it out of the nest and throws it up and it
stcks on the leaves?

No. They're born with an instinct to poke their little butts up above the
rim of the nest and do their business with surprising force. In the first
day or two when they're little and weak a fair percentage of the "duties"
don't make in far --- some ending up on the rim of the nest. I had read
that the mothers try to clean it up but frankly saw no evidence of that
although she may have gotten rid of a few of them. Nonetheless there were
some on the nest even when the chicks were a week old. But by then the
leaves around them were turning black. Obviously she fed them pretty well
because they sure made a lot of waste.
--
Pat Durkin

Old 22-04-2010, 05:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:52:53 -0700, Paddy's Pig wrote:

"Travis" wrote in message
news
Great H bird pix.

Thanks Travis.

So I guess the mother picks it out of the nest and throws it up and it
stcks on the leaves?

No. They're born with an instinct to poke their little butts up above
the rim of the nest and do their business with surprising force. In the
first day or two when they're little and weak a fair percentage of the
"duties" don't make in far --- some ending up on the rim of the nest. I
had read that the mothers try to clean it up but frankly saw no evidence
of that although she may have gotten rid of a few of them. Nonetheless
there were some on the nest even when the chicks were a week old. But
by then the leaves around them were turning black. Obviously she fed
them pretty well because they sure made a lot of waste.

Ain't Mother Nature amazing?

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington