Old 06-05-2010, 03:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default "My" hummingbirds (as if anybody ever owns a hummingbird)

I've remarked several times that the hummers on my property find nothing
embarrassing about coming over and begging for food.

Of course it's ludicrous to think you actually know what an animal is
thinking but on many occasions they've come over to my windows and looked in
disapprovingly - or pleadingly - because we've become delinquent on
refilling their feeder.

This afternoon it happened again. I was in my office with the sliding
window open, working on a bank statement. I heard the familiar sound of a
hummer's wings nearby and looked up to see one hovering right outside the
screen. Perhaps only 6" outside the screen - and there was absolutely no
doubt that it was looking directly at me - for perhaps 20 or more seconds.
The statement was clear.

So I got up and walked outside and sure enough the feeder needed refilling.
I promptly did it and waved at the hummers and said "Okay guys. You're all
set now!" )

This has happened so often now that I seriously think they may have
discovered this behavior is a good way to communicate with me.

I went in the other room and grabbed a camera to come back and shoot the
scene --- after the fact of course. But this is about what I saw: (I PS'd
a bird into the pic to simulate it)
--
Paddy's Pig

Old 06-05-2010, 03:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
[...]

Attached Thumbnails
"My" hummingbirds (as if anybody ever owns a hummingbird)-my-little-neighbor.jpg
Old 06-05-2010, 03:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Neat Pat, You know, I have experienced the same thing & found myself asking
them if they were out of juice!
I have been working in the yard & they will actually come & buzz me, then
lo & behold I check & their bottles are dry.
Cheers Wendy

Old 06-05-2010, 04:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Wed, 5 May 2010 19:27:37 -0700, "Wendy7" wrote:

Neat Pat, You know, I have experienced the same thing & found myself asking
them if they were out of juice!
I have been working in the yard & they will actually come & buzz me, then
lo & behold I check & their bottles are dry.
Cheers Wendy
"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
m...

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
[...]

You two are so lucky and blessed. I just love it.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Neat Pat, You know, I have experienced the same thing & found myself
asking them if they were out of juice! I have been working in the yard &
they will actually come & buzz me, then lo & behold I check & their
bottles are dry.
Cheers Wendy

I'm glad to see this. For a while there I was afraid my mind was playing
tricks on me (not really). Now I know there's at least one other person out
there seeing the same thing.

Seriously --- I've watched other birds in the yard like finches for
instance --- and they seem hard-wired by evolution to never stop and think
about things. Any noise or sudden movement will send them flying in a
cloud. Hummers are different. They're curious about things and seem to
assess 'threats' a lot more thoroughly before bolting for the horizon. And
they're individuals, not part of a pack. It's apparent they've got enough
brainpower to recognize who we are individually and that they've got certain
expectations of us. They've found a way to communicate with us when we
don't automatically do what they expect us to do. "Hey bub! I'm hungry!
Come feed me. C'mon ya lazy bump - get a move on!"

There's real evidence that there's a bit of intelligence there in those tiny
heads. I'm pretty certain they don't have a way to formulate any sort of
friendship with us and the concept wouldn't make much sense to them anyway,
or to me, but it's curious that sometimes in the afternoon when we're out on
the deck watching the sunset they'll come over and just "hang out" with us
for a little while. Very close to us --- just observing what we're doing.
And we get a feeling of acceptance. It's mutual. We accept them too. )

This all sounds a bit weird but I'll bet anybody who's had the opportunity
over time to interact with hummers can make similar observations and
conclusions.
--
Paddy's Pig

Old 06-05-2010, 05:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Thu, 6 May 2010 09:06:05 -0700, "Paddy's Pig"
wrote:

"Wendy7" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think it is just hummers. I have seen other birds eat seeds
out of an mans hand. They sit on his hand and shoulders and take
turns.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"joevan" wrote in message

This all sounds a bit weird but I'll bet anybody who's had the opportunity
over time to interact with hummers can make similar observations and
conclusions.

I don't think it is just hummers. I have seen other birds eat seeds out of
an mans hand. They sit on his hand and shoulders and take turns.

I went to a place today called Wild Birds Unlimited http://www.wbu.com/
where I bought the new birdbath a couple of weeks ago. I struck up a
conversation with the owner in the parking lot. She was tossing something
to some birds under a tree. It turns out they were meal worms.

She told me phoebes really loved them and after I establish a feeding
pattern they'll forget their inhibitions and even greet me at the door when
I come out in the mornings. She says if I toss them in the air they'll
catch them. I splurged on ten bucks' worth of mealworms.
--
Paddy's Pig

Old 06-05-2010, 11:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Thu, 6 May 2010 15:04:15 -0700, "Paddy's Pig"
wrote:

"joevan" wrote in message
.. .

This all sounds a bit weird but I'll bet anybody who's had the opportunity
over time to interact with hummers can make similar observations and
conclusions.

I don't think it is just hummers. I have seen other birds eat seeds out of
an mans hand. They sit on his hand and shoulders and take turns.

I went to a place today called Wild Birds Unlimited http://www.wbu.com/
where I bought the new birdbath a couple of weeks ago. I struck up a
conversation with the owner in the parking lot. She was tossing something
to some birds under a tree. It turns out they were meal worms.

She told me phoebes really loved them and after I establish a feeding
pattern they'll forget their inhibitions and even greet me at the door when
I come out in the mornings. She says if I toss them in the air they'll
catch them. I splurged on ten bucks' worth of mealworms.

Ah ain't life grand. Love it all.