GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Male Western Bluebird (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/191491-male-western-bluebird.html)

Paddy's Pig[_4_] 15-05-2010 02:12 AM

Male Western Bluebird

1 Attachment(s)

Bob Williams[_3_] 15-05-2010 09:04 PM

Male Western Bluebird

OMG! How beautiful. The color is sooo intense.
Do you set out mealworms or some other goodie to attract them?
I have never seen a Bluebird in my area (San Diego county), but I would
love to attract them.
Bob

Paddy's Pig[_4_] 15-05-2010 10:14 PM

Male Western Bluebird

"Bob Williams" wrote in message

OMG! How beautiful. The color is sooo intense.

I swear I didn't bump it up in PhotoShop...but you're right --- it can look
unworldly. That's because the Bluebird's feather structure creates a kind
of prism effect but in the case of the Bluebird only the blue light is
reflected. The rest is absorbed. Depending on the angle the light hits the
bird, the effect can be pretty striking.

Do you set out mealworms or some other goodie to attract them?

Yeah. There's two things I do & I bet they work for you too. The first and
most important is that they LOVE water. If you don't have a birdbath right
now - go get one. I'd bet that those Bluebirds you never see will begin to
hang out at your house.

The mealworms come second. Attract them with the bath --- keep them with
the mealworms.
--
Pat Durkin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paddyspig/