Old 04-07-2010, 06:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Calliandra Flower-0818

Attached Thumbnails
Calliandra Flower-0818-c-0818-calliandra-02-07-10-40-300.jpg
Old 04-07-2010, 12:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 15:54:52 +1000, "Maroochy" bharris*REMOVE
wrote:
Nice. As little ones we had mimosa trees in our yard. I never had such
a clear picture of what the blooms were like. I wonder if it is the
same by another name. Prolly not but it reminds me of such.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 14:00:13 +0200, Magda
wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 07:39:46 -0400, in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens, joevan
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... wrote:
... Nice. As little ones we had mimosa trees in our yard. I never had such
... a clear picture of what the blooms were like. I wonder if it is the
... same by another name. Prolly not but it reminds me of such.

Mimosa flowers are yellow like yolks.

Is that a yoke or am I going color blind. I remember not yellow but as
in the pictures on this site.
http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Mimosa.htm
=====
It sounds much better in French, but then, everything does.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

... wrote:
... Nice. As little ones we had mimosa trees in our yard. I never had such
... a clear picture of what the blooms were like. I wonder if it is the
... same by another name. Prolly not but it reminds me of such.

Mimosa flowers are yellow like yolks.

Is that a yoke or am I going color blind. I remember not yellow but as
in the pictures on this site.
http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Mimosa.htm

I guess these people colored there yellow flowers pink.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBI1mIq6m8Q
Old 04-07-2010, 01:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:
Nice. As little ones we had mimosa trees in our yard. I never had such
a clear picture of what the blooms were like. I wonder if it is the
same by another name. Prolly not but it reminds me of such.

They belong to the same sub family as mimosas and both belong to the legume
family.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

... wrote:
... Nice. As little ones we had mimosa trees in our yard. I never had such
... a clear picture of what the blooms were like. I wonder if it is the
... same by another name. Prolly not but it reminds me of such.

Mimosa flowers are yellow like yolks.

Is that a yoke or am I going color blind. I remember not yellow but as
in the pictures on this site.
http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Mimosa.htm
=====
It sounds much better in French, but then, everything does.

Several things are called mimosa, one of which is
Albizia julibrissin. A picture is at

http://www.missouriplants.com/Pinkal...ssin_page.html
Old 04-07-2010, 03:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"joevan" wrote
Nice. As little ones we had mimosa trees in our yard. I never had such
a clear picture of what the blooms were like. I wonder if it is the
same by another name. Prolly not but it reminds me of such.

It's this plant... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calliandra
which is not what you know as Mimosa.

Most of the world calls Acacia (dealbata) with small yellow flowers Mimosa,
but in the US I understand they call Albizia (julibrissin) Mimosa and this
photo looks just like Albizia flowers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_dealbata

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albizia_julibrissin

Confused? Nothing unusual for me. :-)

Actually a good example of why Latin names are important.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-07-2010, 03:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 15:07:07 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"joevan" wrote
Nice. As little ones we had mimosa trees in our yard. I never had such
a clear picture of what the blooms were like. I wonder if it is the
same by another name. Prolly not but it reminds me of such.

It's this plant... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calliandra
which is not what you know as Mimosa.

Most of the world calls Acacia (dealbata) with small yellow flowers Mimosa,
but in the US I understand they call Albizia (julibrissin) Mimosa and this
photo looks just like Albizia flowers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_dealbata

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albizia_julibrissin

Confused? Nothing unusual for me. :-)

Actually a good example of why Latin names are important.

Very true and those are some great examples of beauty. Sometimes the
wike pages don't have such good pictures. Thanks for the links. I
still think of the trees we had in Virginia in the 40's and through
the 60's.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"joevan" wrote ...

Very true and those are some great examples of beauty. Sometimes the
wike pages don't have such good pictures. Thanks for the links. I
still think of the trees we had in Virginia in the 40's and through
the 60's.

Are they not there now or have you moved? If so would they not grow where
you are now?
I have three potted 2 year old seedlings of Albizia julibrissin in my back
garden (yard) and they come from a tree in France which we know has lived
through winter temperatures down to -13°C and the even more beautiful
variety "rosea" can take much lower temperatures.
Our problem trying to grow it here is not the cold but our winter wet, they
don't seem to be able to cope with winter temperatures that fluctuate
between just below freezing and just above almost daily together with
constant wet roots.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-07-2010, 06:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 17:56:13 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

[...]

I more or less left my small hometown about 1960, which quickly
became a city. I located in Philadelphia Pa and have been here ever
since right next to Center city. I love it here except for some facets
of rural life, but we have lots of trees and plants all around and I
have my deck with as much as I can manage or want to manage these
days.
And I might say that my house which I have owned for going on 37 yrs
will possible make my daughter a rich lady some day. The area has some
of the best of everything, all sorts of great food stores,
restaurants, and the Italian market. As a matter of fact my favorite
restaurant is almost at my back door.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

This is absolutely stunning!
Cheers Wendy

Old 04-07-2010, 11:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Wendy7teranews.com wrote:
This is absolutely stunning!

Thanks Wendy.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:09 AM
Registered User

I love Calliandras. I have five or six different species throughout the yard.
Once established they are drought tolerant and they bloom on-and-off all through the year.
My Yard:
Landscaping Pictures & Design Ideas: Steep-n-Rocky
-Ron-
Old 05-07-2010, 02:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Maroochy" bharris*REMOVE wrote:

begin c-0818-calliandra-02-07-10-40-300.jpg
[Image]

end

I think this is one of your best.

--
8^)~~~~~~ Sue
~~~~~~~~~

http://wacvet.com/
http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/
Old 05-07-2010, 04:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Suzie-Q wrote:

I think this is one of your best.

Thank you. :-)

[IMG] code is On

Pink Calliandra Flower-2773 Maroochy[_3_] Garden Photos 0 22-12-2010 11:39 AM
White Calliandra Flower-0826 Maroochy[_3_] Garden Photos 2 05-07-2010 01:19 PM
Red Calliandra Marutchi Garden Photos 6 31-12-2006 04:57 AM
Epcot Flower and Garden Festival - Help Identify Another Flower concord Gardening 25 09-06-2004 05:20 AM