GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Amaryllis 'Bogota' (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/195004-amaryllis-bogota.html)

BobWalsh 26-12-2010 09:10 PM

Amaryllis 'Bogota'

1 Attachment(s)
Amaryllis 'Bogota' is a Cybister type Amaryllis.

Maroochy[_3_] 26-12-2010 10:20 PM

Amaryllis 'Bogota'

BobWalsh wrote:
Amaryllis 'Bogota' is a Cybister type Amaryllis.

Very pretty. I have to say I'm always confused about how these are still
referred to and sold as 'Amaryllis', in the Northern Hemisphere, when they
really are Hippeastrums.
True amaryllis are actually Belladonnas.

Mimo User 27-12-2010 01:16 AM

Amaryllis 'Bogota'

--
BobWalsh

Stunning photo, do you have more photos to post?
CB

--
Posted by Mimo Usenet Browser v0.1.10
http://www.goldenfrog.com/mimo/post

Garrapata 27-12-2010 06:24 AM

Amaryllis 'Bogota'

BobWalsh wrote:
Amaryllis 'Bogota' is a Cybister type Amaryllis.

Very pretty. I have to say I'm always confused about how these are still
referred to and sold as 'Amaryllis', in the Northern Hemisphere, when they
really are Hippeastrums.
True amaryllis are actually Belladonnas.

As a common name, 'It doesn't have to make sense' :-))

True Amaryllis are Amaryllis belladonna

It is best to use correct Latin names. Unfortunately growers and
marketers don't seem to know or care about correct names.

My pet peeve is Geranium for Pelargonium. We've been getting that wrong
for over 300 years.
--

09=IX

BobWalsh 29-05-2011 06:39 PM

Hi CB,

I have more pictures of my Amaryllis, Hippeastrum, collection.
I'm going to post them over time.

Bob