Old 28-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Registered User

Question What is this growing in my garden?!

Hello,

I am new to gardening and do not know if this is a weed or if it will grow into something nice?

Please see the attached image

Many thanks

James
Attached Thumbnails
What is this growing in my garden?!-img_0511.jpg
Old 28-04-2011, 04:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default What is this growing in my garden?!

On 28/04/2011 8:41 AM, Allardyce1980 wrote:
Hello,

I am new to gardening and do not know if this is a weed or if it will
grow into something nice?

Please see the attached image

Many thanks

James

Looks like a fern. Post another picture when the leaves open up some more.

Wolf K.
Old 28-04-2011, 07:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Allardyce1980" wrote .

I am new to gardening and do not know if this is a weed or if it will
grow into something nice?

Please see the attached image

Many thanks

Looks like Bracken to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracken

Just leave it a while until you are sure and then keep or destroy as
required.
If you decide to remove it IDC then remember that a fern liked that spot so
you could replace it with a collection of ornamental ferns.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Registered User

Its nice that you having much interest in gardening and its okey everyone is fresher when they are start gardening but after that it becomes a part of life. It gives so much peace of mind. And you have posted so small picture and only one picture so I can't judge its good or not.
__________________
Waterfall Pond Kit
Old 30-04-2011, 04:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Hello,

I am new to gardening and do not know if this is a weed or if it will
grow into something nice?

Please see the attached image

Many thanks

James

Probably Bracken, Pteridium aquilinum. Sometimes weedy but I like it in
natural garden. It can spread underground
--
Monterey, California
USDA Zone 9

Old 02-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebediaahrich View Post
Its nice that you having much interest in gardening and its okey everyone is fresher when they are start gardening but after that it becomes a part of life. It gives so much peace of mind. And you have posted so small picture and only one picture so I can't judge its good or not.
Thanks for your reply, if you click on the attached image it will become bigger. This website only allows that size of picture when you upload.

Please click the image for a bigger view

Thanks again for your reply

James
Old 10-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allardyce1980 View Post
Hello,

I am new to gardening and do not know if this is a weed or if it will grow into something nice?

Please see the attached image

Many thanks

James
To me, it looks like a fern frond unfurling, I'm not too sure what type, but it is pretty big by the look of things.
I'd leave it put for a while, it should be open fully within a week or so, and I.D. will be easier then.