Old 13-05-2011, 07:16 PM
BobWalsh's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Chicago
Default Plumeria 'Pauahi Alii'

Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop bequeathed her entire estate for the establishment of a school to educate Hawaiian children highlighting the history and culture of the Native Hawaiian people. Her endowment for the Kamehameha Schools continues even today to support the largest independent pre-kindergarten through grade twelve school system in the United States.

Plumeria ‘Pauahi Alii' was originally part of the Donald Angus collection with the name 'Angus Gold'. Dr. Richard Criley, Director of the Waimanalo Plumeria research station of the University of Hawaii, received a request to name a plumeria cultivar in honor of Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop (1831 - 1884), the great-granddaughter of King Kamehameha I. She was the last heir of the Bishop Estate and the person for whom the Bishop Museum in Honolulu is named after. The Bishop Museum group, which is located at 1525 Bernice Street in downtown Honolulu, requested the name 'Pauahi Alii' for the plumeria.

Plumeria 'Pauahi Alii' has large brillant gold flowers with wide, dark red bands on front and back with a dark red center. The flowers measure three and a quarter inches in diameter. They have a heavy texture with a very good keeping quality. Plumeria 'Pauahi Alii' gives off a fine lemon frangrance.

Plumeria 'Pauahi Alii'
__________________
For information on growing Plumerias, Frangipani, visit http://www.BobWalshPlumeriaCare101.com.
Old 23-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Registered User

Location: California
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWalsh View Post
[...]

This is really exotic plumeria plants and looks very attractive.Thanks for your information.
Old 25-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire
[...]

They are so beautiful!
I've never actually seen one in flower in person, and have always wondered what the fragrance is like?
I wish I had somewhere I could grow them, but victorian terrace houses can be very unforgiving :-D
__________________
Yay! it's spring!
Old 29-05-2011, 07:54 PM
BobWalsh's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drobium View Post
They are so beautiful!
I've never actually seen one in flower in person, and have always wondered what the fragrance is like?
I wish I had somewhere I could grow them, but victorian terrace houses can be very unforgiving :-D
Fragrances of plumerias include rose, coconut, jasmine, gardenia, and many more. Some plumerias are more fragrant than others.

Plumerias grow very well under grow lights if you don't have any outdoors to grow them.

Bob
For information on growing Plumerias, Frangipani, visit http://www.BobWalshPlumeriaCare101.com.

[IMG] code is On

Dwarf Plumeria Plants Versus Compact Plumeria Plants BobWalsh Gardening 0 22-05-2012 08:18 PM
Staking Plumeria Cuttings and Plumeria Plants At Planting Time BobWalsh Gardening 0 15-05-2012 03:28 PM
Growing Plumeria Cuttings And Plumeria Plants With The Egg Method BobWalsh Gardening 0 08-07-2011 09:50 PM
Root Bound Alii Ficus Mixmaster Lawns 2 09-02-2005 10:59 PM
Root Bound Alii Ficus Mixmaster Plant Biology 0 04-02-2005 11:47 PM