Old 16-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Registered User

Default Please help me identify this plant.

I live in London and have a small patio garden. This year a large plant grew in one of the pots which I am assuming is a weed. Purple flowers have just started blooming on it and I was just curious to what this plant is.
It quite tall, and has large leaves, and purple flowers with five heart shaped petal leaves (please see photograph)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Please help me identify this plant.-photo.jpg
Old 16-05-2011, 04:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On 16/05/2011 10:56 AM, sianb wrote:
I live in London and have a small patio garden. This year a large plant
grew in one of the pots which I am assuming is a weed. Purple flowers
have just started blooming on it and I was just curious to what this
plant is.
It quite tall, and has large leaves, and purple flowers with five heart
shaped petal leaves (please see photograph)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I think it's a hollyhock.

Wolf K.
Old 16-05-2011, 05:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"sianb" wrote ...

I live in London and have a small patio garden. This year a large plant
grew in one of the pots which I am assuming is a weed. Purple flowers
have just started blooming on it and I was just curious to what this
plant is.
It quite tall, and has large leaves, and purple flowers with five heart
shaped petal leaves (please see photograph)

Any help would be appreciated.

I think it's Common Tree Mallow. Lavatera arborea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavatera_arborea
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sianb View Post
I live in London and have a small patio garden. This year a large plant grew in one of the pots which I am assuming is a weed. Purple flowers have just started blooming on it and I was just curious to what this plant is.
It quite tall, and has large leaves, and purple flowers with five heart shaped petal leaves (please see photograph)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
It's a Malva Sylvestris of some sort, the common name is 'mallow'.
We have the same 'weed' in our garden, but they are really pretty sometimes so we leave a few.
If you do want to keep them, make sure they are near to the middle back of the border, as they can grow to almost 6 feet sometimes!!

Malva sylvestris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
Yay! it's spring!
Old 17-05-2011, 12:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On 16/05/2011 12:35 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:
"sianb" wrote ...

I live in London and have a small patio garden. This year a large plant
grew in one of the pots which I am assuming is a weed. Purple flowers
have just started blooming on it and I was just curious to what this
plant is.
It quite tall, and has large leaves, and purple flowers with five heart
shaped petal leaves (please see photograph)

Any help would be appreciated.

I think it's Common Tree Mallow. Lavatera arborea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavatera_arborea

On second thought, I'm inclined to agree with you. I now see the shadow
of the stamen, which projects from the flower. Not like a hollyhock.

Wolf K.