GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can anyone tell me what this plant is? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/197135-can-anyone-tell-me-what-plant.html)

Nat+Steve 20-05-2011 06:43 PM

Can anyone tell me what this plant is?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi there we are new to this forum, can anyone tell us what this young plant may be, we had some chilli seeds imported from thailand and this is one pot of the seeds we planted but they dont look anything like the chilli plants we grew last year. so not sure what it is

Drobium 20-05-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nat+Steve (Post 922180)
Hi there we are new to this forum, can anyone tell us what this young plant may be, we had some chilli seeds imported from thailand and this is one pot of the seeds we planted but they dont look anything like the chilli plants we grew last year. so not sure what it is

They are almost definately strawberry seedlings.
Lord knows how they got there? could be from the compost or cross contamination of the chilli seed?

Strawberry seeds, if dropped on to most growing mediums like compost, sand, gravel and the like, will germinate and come up like weeds!

Nat+Steve 20-05-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drobium (Post 922185)
They are almost definately strawberry seedlings.
Lord knows how they got there? could be from the compost or cross contamination of the chilli seed?

Strawberry seeds, if dropped on to most growing mediums like compost, sand, gravel and the like, will germinate and come up like weeds!

thanks alot this explains alot thinking back to march we bought a strawberry growing kit and my delightful son decided he'd help his dad with the watering and poured a whole watering can of water over in the box, so we left it in hope it would recover but after a month we gave up and i just said to other half didnt you reuse that compost for the chilli seeds haha. mystery solved. he's got so many different crops on the go at the mo its easy to lose track of whats in each pot esp when one is marked chilli and up comes a strawberry haha, thanks for your help