GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What is this Plant? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/197199-what-plant.html)

Tracey Kaye 23-05-2011 04:32 PM

What is this Plant?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I am new to this forum but wondered if anyone could help. I have an allotment and the attached photo is of a gorgeous orange flower that is there, with nasty looking leaves. Does anyone know what it is? I am having problems with something biting / stinging me - and wanted to rule this out. Thanks

Ganggang 23-05-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracey Kaye (Post 922520)
Hi,

I am new to this forum but wondered if anyone could help. I have an allotment and the attached photo is of a gorgeous orange flower that is there, with nasty looking leaves. Does anyone know what it is? I am having problems with something biting / stinging me - and wanted to rule this out. Thanks

It looks like a common type of garden poppy, likely to be perfectly harmless.

Bob Hobden[_3_] 23-05-2011 10:57 PM

What is this Plant?

"Tracey Kaye" wrote

I am new to this forum but wondered if anyone could help. I have an
allotment and the attached photo is of a gorgeous orange flower that is
there, with nasty looking leaves. Does anyone know what it is? I am
having problems with something biting / stinging me - and wanted to rule
this out. Thanks

That is an Oriental Poppy ( Papaver orientale ).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaver_orientale

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Tracey Kaye 24-05-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganggang (Post 922575)
It looks like a common type of garden poppy, likely to be perfectly harmless.

Thanks for that - I did think it was some kind of poppy. I will keep looking to see what it biting / stinging me then! Thanks again

Drobium 25-05-2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganggang (Post 922575)
It looks like a common type of garden poppy, likely to be perfectly harmless.

Papaver orientale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oriental Poppy.
The plant is very very bristley and can sometimes feel like it's stinging you.
The good thing about these beauties is that they are perennial, so they'll come back every year in the same place.
Unlike alot of poppies which are annuals.

Tracey Kaye 25-05-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drobium (Post 922746)
Papaver orientale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oriental Poppy.
The plant is very very bristley and can sometimes feel like it's stinging you.
The good thing about these beauties is that they are perennial, so they'll come back every year in the same place.
Unlike alot of poppies which are annuals.

Thank you - oriental poppy sounda so much better than common garden poppy! Thanks again for your help.

Bob Hobden[_3_] 25-05-2011 05:55 PM

What is this Plant?

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...

"Tracey Kaye" wrote

I am new to this forum but wondered if anyone could help. I have an
allotment and the attached photo is of a gorgeous orange flower that is
there, with nasty looking leaves. Does anyone know what it is? I am
having problems with something biting / stinging me - and wanted to rule
this out. Thanks

That is an Oriental Poppy ( Papaver orientale ).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaver_orientale

From the other replies it would appear Gardenbanter are no longer reusing my
free posts on their money making web site. At least, it appears the original
poster can't see it. Excellent.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden