Old 09-10-2010, 01:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Heavy machinery has damaged my lawn.

Hi,

The nature strip in front of my home was recently damaged by some heavy machinery making it very difficult to mow. There are several depressions in the earth which I have to mow around. Grass doesn't seem to want to grow in the gaps. My neighbour suggested planting some runners but I think this will take too long or be ineffective. What is the best way to level out the earth? Should I just buy a new load of soil to fill in the gaps? Would it be better to buy some new grass, make an attempt at leveling the soil and relaying sections of the nature strip?

Thanks for your advice,

Graeme.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 22:47:24 +1100, "Graeme" graeme wrote:

Hi,

The nature strip in front of my home was recently damaged by some heavy machinery making it very difficult to mow. There are several depressions in the earth which I have to mow around. Grass doesn't seem to want to grow in the gaps. My neighbour suggested planting some runners but I think this will take too long or be ineffective. What is the best way to level out the earth? Should I just buy a new load of soil to fill in the gaps? Would it be better to buy some new grass, make an attempt at leveling the soil and relaying sections of the nature strip?

Thanks for your advice,

Graeme.

You're going to have to fill the gaps with soil for sure. Nothing
grows in them because the soil has been too compacted by the weight of
the machinery. I've had this problem even after driving my
comparatively light lawn tractor over a section of lawn that was
soggier than I thought. My only choice was fill and reseed.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Graeme" graeme wrote:

Hi,

The nature strip in front of my home was recently damaged by some heavy
machinery making it very difficult to mow. There are several depressions in
the earth which I have to mow around. Grass doesn't seem to want to grow in
the gaps. My neighbour suggested planting some runners but I think this will
take too long or be ineffective. What is the best way to level out the earth?
Should I just buy a new load of soil to fill in the gaps? Would it be better
to buy some new grass, make an attempt at leveling the soil and relaying
sections of the nature strip?

Thanks for your advice,

Graeme.

You'll get a lot of good advice at news:rec.gardens .

8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email)
~~~~~~~~~

http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/
http://intergnat.com/malebashing/
Old 09-10-2010, 11:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Graeme" wrote
The nature strip in front of my home was recently damaged by some heavy
machinery making it very difficult to mow. There are several depressions
in the earth which I have to mow around. Grass doesn't seem to want to
grow in the gaps. My neighbour suggested planting some runners but I think
this will take too long or be ineffective. What is the best way to level
out the earth? Should I just buy a new load of soil to fill in the gaps?
Would it be better to buy some new grass, make an attempt at leveling the
soil and relaying sections of the nature strip?

I suggest you fork over the areas that have been compacted, that is, force a
garden fork into the soil as far as it will go every few inches to reduce
the compaction of the soil, then fill any depressions with new topsoil, heel
down to firm and flatten again and finally reseed with grass.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden