Old 03-11-2010, 10:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Lilac blooming in November!

I am in the mid-Atlantic region. It is serendipitous! Smells great too.
Nana

Attached Thumbnails
Lilac blooming in November!-img_2985-small-.jpg
Old 04-11-2010, 04:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Very good Nana, I have a plant that has never bloomed? Now I am in S.Calif.
but
this plant is supposed to be a hybrid to tolerate warm weather.
Do you cut yours back?
Cheers Wendy

Old 04-11-2010, 09:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Hi Wendy. I was told (after I had been pruning) & wondering why it didn't
bloom that they bloom on last years' old wood. So no, I don't prune any
more. I do just shape her up a bit & trim away any dead wood

Old 05-11-2010, 08:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Nana.Wilson" wrote .
I am in the mid-Atlantic region. It is serendipitous! Smells great too.

"Wendy7" wrote
Very good Nana, I have a plant that has never bloomed? Now I am in
S.Calif. but
this plant is supposed to be a hybrid to tolerate warm weather.
Do you cut yours back?

"Nana.Wilson" wrote ..

Hi Wendy. I was told (after I had been pruning) & wondering why it didn't
bloom that they bloom on last years' old wood. So no, I don't prune any
more. I do just shape her up a bit & trim away any dead wood

Yes, they flower on young wood made the previous season. It's why you often
see overgrown and straggly Lilac trees, people don't know when to prune
them, it's confusing. They can and should be pruned just after flowering so
they then make new young growth to flower the following year, and so on. I
know it seems wrong pruning at that time of the year, late spring/summer,
but it's not the only plant like that.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-11-2010, 04:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On 11/3/2010 6:26 PM, Nana.Wilson wrote:
I am in the mid-Atlantic region. It is serendipitous! Smells great too.
Nana

My first thought is...... I hope the whole plant isn't pushing out new
growth (leaves) as we see in your picture. If so, I think you can expect
a lot of winter injury.

Pruning.... Yeah, prune right after blooming as Bob said. Always, at
least "prune" off the dead flower heads before they attempt to form
seeds. This will give you lots of flowers every year.
If your Lilac grows with multiple trunks because new ones sprout up from
the ground, then a good thing to do, every year or two, is saw off one
or two of the oldest trunks at ground level. (More than one or two if
the Lilac is huge.) I have sometimes seen Lilacs that grow with a single
trunk only, never sending up new sprouts from the ground. That last
advice wouldn't apply to them.

Steve