GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mystery tree? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/198632-mystery-tree.html)

Envo 02-07-2011 10:53 PM

Mystery tree?

3 Attachment(s)
Anyone care to offer an identification for this specimen, seen in
Switzerland? I have only ever seen 3 others - 1 in Hull (garden), UK,
and 2 on Tyneside (garden and park), UK. When the pods are ripe and
turning from green to translucent brown, they can be squeezed between
2 fingers, when they burst with a quite audible 'pop'.

Thanks

sambucus 03-07-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Envo (Post 928917)
Anyone care to offer an identification for this specimen, seen in
Switzerland? I have only ever seen 3 others - 1 in Hull (garden), UK,
and 2 on Tyneside (garden and park), UK. When the pods are ripe and
turning from green to translucent brown, they can be squeezed between
2 fingers, when they burst with a quite audible 'pop'.

Thanks

It's colutea arborescens or Bladder Senna

Easily grown from seed sown in autumn or spring

I have use it in sensory garden to provide that illusive 'sound' element - the pods rattle together in the wind. As you say the pods are also very tempting to pop.

Envo 03-07-2011 09:46 PM

Mystery tree?

--
sambucus