Old 27-09-2011, 01:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Last flowers of summer: Cistus [1/1]

[ Section: 1/1 File: zCistus01.jpg UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated Version 5.02 S ]

sum -r/size 43237/294552 section (from "begin" to "end")
sum -r/size 14442/213765 entire input file
--
Sue ]
Attached Thumbnails
Old 27-09-2011, 02:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On 27/09/2011 8:29 AM, Mad Cow wrote:
[ Section: 1/1 File: zCistus01.jpg UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated Version 5.02 S ]

begin 644 zCistus01.jpg
M_]C_X``02D9)1@`!`0$`2`!(``#_X1E017AI9@``34T`*@````@` #`$/``(`
M```&````G@$0``(````.````I`$2``,````!``$```$:``4`` ``!````L@$;
M``4````!````N@$H``,````!``(```$R``(````4````P@$[``(````!```

[etc]

As you can see, your image doesn't open automatically in my news reader
(Thunderbird). The reason is that the the header shows the message as
encoded in mime, but the message body itself shows that it's uuencoded.
(These are both methods of encoding non-text files so they can be
transmitted as text files, because all mail/news traffic is in text
characters only.) Your news reader is Turnpike: it has placed incorrect
encoding data in the header, so Thunderbird "reads" the file as text
instead of as an image.

I don't know what Turnpike's default settings are, but somewhere you
should be able to ensure that the encoding information in the header is
correct.

I can still open the pictures if I Save As the message on the desktop as
a *.jpg file, and open it from there, but it would be more convenient to
see the image when I open your post.

I like the back-lighting, BTW. ;-)

HTH
Wolf K.
Old 27-09-2011, 06:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article , Wolf K
writes
[...]

The header says "MIME-Version: 1.0" (same as yours) but that's in the
header of every message whether it has an attachment or not. Everything
I can see in the header makes sense and none of it refers to the
attachment. If you're seeing something I can't, paste it into a reply:
there's probably nothing I can do but why not share the frustration?

FWIW Thunderbird is the only newsreader that does this, all others
decode the files correctly, but that's no help to you.

I don't know what Turnpike's default settings are, but somewhere you
should be able to ensure that the encoding information in the header is
correct.

It doesn't allow MIME in news posts, only in mail!
I've found Windows 7 home edition easy to live with except that the
last-ever version of Turnpike's incompatible with it and this version's
too primitive. I've tried other newsreaders but they didn't meet my
needs.

I can still open the pictures if I Save As the message on the desktop as
a *.jpg file, and open it from there, but it would be more convenient to
see the image when I open your post.

I know. I get that with M$ Office files.

I like the back-lighting, BTW. ;-)

Thanks - though maybe I should post some rubbish so that you can just
killfile me!

HTH

I'll see if anyone's in the pub tonight who's old enough to remember how
Usenet works. Something might come of it.
--
Sue ]
Old 27-09-2011, 07:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On 27/09/2011 1:52 PM, Mad Cow wrote:
In . com, Wolf K
writes
[...]

Exactly, the header for the message says "mime", but the header for the
jpg file says "uuencoded by..." That mismatch between header and segment
is what causes the problem.

I'll file a bug report, maybe someone in the TB group will notice.

Have a good day,
wolf k.
Old 28-09-2011, 12:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:29:32 +0100, Mad Cow
wrote:

[ Section: 1/1 File: zCistus01.jpg UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated Version 5.02 S ]

I love it. Thanks.

Old 28-09-2011, 09:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article , joevan
writes
wrote:

[ Section: 1/1 File: zCistus01.jpg UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated Version

5.02 S ]
I love it. Thanks.

A lucky find.
--
Sue ]
Old 29-09-2011, 07:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article , Wolf K
writes

Exactly, the header for the message says "mime", but the header for the
jpg file says "uuencoded by..." That mismatch between header and segment
is what causes the problem.

I'll file a bug report, maybe someone in the TB group will notice.

Have a good day,
wolf k.

Wolf, what does Thunderbird do that indicates it's expecting a MIME
attachment? Does it give any information other than failing to decode?

And am I right in assuming you can decode Joevan's and Pat's pictures?
--
Sue ]
Old 29-09-2011, 09:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Last flowers of summer: Cistus [1/1] - zCistus01.jpg (0/1)

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 19:34:23 +0100, Mad Cow
wrote:

In article , Wolf K
writes

Exactly, the header for the message says "mime", but the header for the
jpg file says "uuencoded by..." That mismatch between header and segment
is what causes the problem.

I'll file a bug report, maybe someone in the TB group will notice.

Have a good day,
wolf k.

Wolf, what does Thunderbird do that indicates it's expecting a MIME
attachment? Does it give any information other than failing to decode?

And am I right in assuming you can decode Joevan's and Pat's pictures?

I saved the Jpg to file and will now post it with Agent Forte. See if
any difference occurs.
Old 29-09-2011, 09:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Last flowers of summer: Cistus [1/1] - zCistus01.jpg (1/1)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg zCistus01.jpg (94.7 KB, 181 views)
Old 29-09-2011, 10:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On 29/09/2011 4:01 PM, joevan wrote:

Opened properly in Tbird, and also showed as an attachment in the status
bar.

Wolf K.

Old 29-09-2011, 10:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On 29/09/2011 2:34 PM, Mad Cow wrote:
In g.com, Wolf K
writes

Exactly, the header for the message says "mime", but the header for the
jpg file says "uuencoded by..." That mismatch between header and segment
is what causes the problem.

I'll file a bug report, maybe someone in the TB group will notice.

Have a good day,
wolf k.

Wolf, what does Thunderbird do that indicates it's expecting a MIME
attachment? Does it give any information other than failing to decode?

And am I right in assuming you can decode Joevan's and Pat's pictures?

It just fails to decode. Joevan's and Pat's pictures decode correctly. I
see an image in the message pane, and also as an attachment (the file
name displays in the attachment bar). In this case, your pictures did
not show as attachments. Tbird obviously believes the message header
(which identifies the encoding as mime), and not the file header (which
identifies it as uuencoded). So it doesn't even try to decode the image
file.

Don't worry about it, Sue, I'm quite willing to do the Save As then Open
thing.

TBird cannot combine multi-part files, which is occasionally an issue.
It's also unreliable when decoding yEnc encoded messages, which doesn't
bother me.

Have a good day,
Wolf K.
Old 29-09-2011, 11:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:17:53 -0400, Wolf K
wrote:

[...]

Agent is "the" newsreader.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article , joevan
writes
I saved the Jpg to file and will now post it with Agent Forte. See if
any difference occurs.

Thanks Joevan, good idea. I've "kept" your post so I can think of a way
to compare the encoded sections. I want to know what's happening here!
--
Sue ]
Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 22:46:23 +0100, Mad Cow
wrote:

In article , joevan
writes
I saved the Jpg to file and will now post it with Agent Forte. See if
any difference occurs.

Thanks Joevan, good idea. I've "kept" your post so I can think of a way
to compare the encoded sections. I want to know what's happening here!

So pleased to be of help.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 09:42:57 -0400, Wolf K wrote:

[...]

My newsreader is Pan and it displayed the picture just fine.
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington