GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Does anyone know what type of plant this is? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/201791-does-anyone-know-what-type-plant.html)

Franifer 04-01-2012 11:20 PM

Does anyone know what type of plant this is?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, I saw this whilst holidaying in Spain, can anyone tell me what plant this is and what it is called?

Thank you!

joevan[_3_] 05-01-2012 11:08 AM

Does anyone know what type of plant this is? - photo.jpg (0/1) - photo.jpg (0/1)

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 23:20:27 +0000, Franifer
wrote:

Hello, I saw this whilst holidaying in Spain, can anyone tell me what
plant this is and what it is called?

Thank you!

I don't but if you resized it like this someone will be able to help
you.

joevan[_3_] 05-01-2012 11:08 AM

Does anyone know what type of plant this is? - photo.jpg (0/1) - photo.jpg (1/1)

1 Attachment(s)

joevan[_3_] 05-01-2012 11:12 AM

Does anyone know what type of plant this is? - photo.jpg (0/1) - photo.jpg (1/1)

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 06:08:59 -0500, joevan
wrote:

If you don't know how to resize and reduce the size of photos, get
Irfanview and learn.

echinosum 05-01-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franifer (Post 946512)
Hello, I saw this whilst holidaying in Spain, can anyone tell me what plant this is and what it is called?

Agave victoriae-reginae. A very popular plant in cultivation, though the one you show has taken many years to get that magnificent. Comes from the Chihuahua desert in Mexico. As with many desert plants where overnight frosts are common, it will cope with quite low overnight temperatures, eg -10C or even rather lower. But what it doesn't like are persistently humid/damp conditions, or prolonged cold. So here in England I have to grow it as a house-plant, though I think a few people in favoured spots with carefully prepared super-drained ground conditions and winter rain-protection manage to grow it out of doors. There are various horticultural cultivars, such as variegated forms, etc.

Franifer 07-01-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echinosum (Post 946586)
Agave victoriae-reginae. A very popular plant in cultivation, though the one you show has taken many years to get that magnificent. Comes from the Chihuahua desert in Mexico. As with many desert plants where overnight frosts are common, it will cope with quite low overnight temperatures, eg -10C or even rather lower. But what it doesn't like are persistently humid/damp conditions, or prolonged cold. So here in England I have to grow it as a house-plant, though I think a few people in favoured spots with carefully prepared super-drained ground conditions and winter rain-protection manage to grow it out of doors. There are various horticultural cultivars, such as variegated forms, etc.

Thank you so much, my father had never seen this type of plant before and I would very much like to purchase this for him to grow. Thank you!