Old 30-01-2012, 04:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default again: my epiphyllum grafting

One of my grafting experiments.
In April 2010 I grafted a piece of an epiphyllum on a Myrtillocactus. It
has not died yet, but there has not been much growth either except for a
tiny sprout in spring last year, which broke off (due to my clumsiness
. But there are small buds again this year at the uppermost eyes at
both sides. The scion at the right of the stock has grown last year.

G Willi
http://members.aon.at/supervague/images/garden.html

Attached Thumbnails
again: my epiphyllum grafting-epiaufmyrtillocactus-0.jpg
Old 30-01-2012, 10:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:33:48 +0100, Willi wrote:

One of my grafting experiments.
In April 2010 I grafted a piece of an epiphyllum on a Myrtillocactus. It
has not died yet, but there has not been much growth either except for a
tiny sprout in spring last year, which broke off (due to my clumsiness
. But there are small buds again this year at the uppermost eyes at
both sides. The scion at the right of the stock has grown last year.

G Willi
http://members.aon.at/supervague/images/garden.html

Cool, I have an orchid cactus that looks something like that. How is
it done, the grafting I mean?
Old 30-01-2012, 10:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article lekom.at,
Willi writes
One of my grafting experiments.
In April 2010 I grafted a piece of an epiphyllum on a Myrtillocactus. It
has not died yet, but there has not been much growth either except for a
tiny sprout in spring last year, which broke off (due to my clumsiness
. But there are small buds again this year at the uppermost eyes at
both sides. The scion at the right of the stock has grown last year.

Why graft epiphyllums?
--
Sue ]
Old 31-01-2012, 12:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Am 30.01.2012 22:03, schrieb joevan:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:33:48 +0100, wrote:

One of my grafting experiments.
In April 2010 I grafted a piece of an epiphyllum on a Myrtillocactus. It
has not died yet, but there has not been much growth either except for a
tiny sprout in spring last year, which broke off (due to my clumsiness
. But there are small buds again this year at the uppermost eyes at
both sides. The scion at the right of the stock has grown last year.

G Willi
http://members.aon.at/supervague/images/garden.html

Cool, I have an orchid cactus that looks something like that. How is
it done, the grafting I mean?

First I cut off the top of the cactus. Then I cut a sharp wedge out
across the top of the remaining stock and carved the epiphyllum with
precise cuts so that it would fit precisely into that slot. I put both
parts together as quick as possible and fixed them with a rubber band.
After a few weeks I removed the rubber bands.

Thanks for looking.
Old 31-01-2012, 12:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Am 30.01.2012 22:50, schrieb Mad Cow:
In hway.telekom.at,
writes
One of my grafting experiments.
In April 2010 I grafted a piece of an epiphyllum on a Myrtillocactus. It
has not died yet, but there has not been much growth either except for a
tiny sprout in spring last year, which broke off (due to my clumsiness
. But there are small buds again this year at the uppermost eyes at
both sides. The scion at the right of the stock has grown last year.

Why graft epiphyllums?

I did it as an experiment, just trying if it would work. But it would
make sense too. You know that most epiphyllums have hanging leaves, so
if you keep them in an ordinary pot, the leaves bend down and the
flowers lie down on whatever the pot stands on. If one could cultivate
them on a trunk of a tall cactus, the leaves could hang down from the
top and the flowers were, let's say, in eye height. IMHO that would look
not too bad, like a palm tree with flowers in May. Watering would be no
problem too, as it is sometimes when you grow the epihyllum in a hanging
basket.

G Willi

Old 31-01-2012, 03:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article lekom.at,
Willi writes

Why graft epiphyllums?

I did it as an experiment, just trying if it would work. But it would
make sense too. You know that most epiphyllums have hanging leaves, so
if you keep them in an ordinary pot, the leaves bend down and the
flowers lie down on whatever the pot stands on. If one could cultivate
them on a trunk of a tall cactus, the leaves could hang down from the
top and the flowers were, let's say, in eye height. IMHO that would look
not too bad, like a palm tree with flowers in May. Watering would be no
problem too, as it is sometimes when you grow the epihyllum in a hanging
basket.

Thanks, I understand now.
--
Sue ]

Old 13-11-2012, 05:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Am 13.11.2012 06:31, schrieb Steve:
10 months later, I'm wondering how that turned out.

I try to post constantly 1 pic per week. In summer I can choose out of
plenty and a lot stay unsent. But in winter garden related subjects are
not so easy to find, so the grafted cactus is already on the list. The
grafting has grown a tiny sprout [2-3 mm] since then and there are also
minor signs of new growth.