Old 28-05-2012, 09:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default iris pseudacorus

This year I.pseudacorus and I.germanica flowered at the same time and I
tried to cross-pollinate some. So I didn't pick off the faded flowers
for the photo. Usually Iris pseudacorus flowers later and the flowering
periods do not overlap.

G Willi

Attached Thumbnails
iris pseudacorus-iris_pseudacorus_20120523.jpg
Old 28-05-2012, 12:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Mon, 28 May 2012 09:36:22 +0200, Willi wrote:

This year I.pseudacorus and I.germanica flowered at the same time and I
tried to cross-pollinate some. So I didn't pick off the faded flowers
for the photo. Usually Iris pseudacorus flowers later and the flowering
periods do not overlap.

G Willi

How well I remember my grandmothers irises and roses. We did a lot
together when I was a little boy. Raised pheasants, had wonderful
gardens, killed chickens for dinner and plucked them. But I remember
mostly the irises she had next door to our house.
Old 29-05-2012, 08:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Am 28.05.2012 12:25, schrieb joevan:
On Mon, 28 May 2012 09:36:22 +0200, wrote:

This year I.pseudacorus and I.germanica flowered at the same time and I
tried to cross-pollinate some. So I didn't pick off the faded flowers
for the photo. Usually Iris pseudacorus flowers later and the flowering
periods do not overlap.

G Willi

How well I remember my grandmothers irises and roses. We did a lot
together when I was a little boy. Raised pheasants, had wonderful
gardens, killed chickens for dinner and plucked them. But I remember
mostly the irises she had next door to our house.

You told a very nice story. It is also my grandmother, whom I owe my
so-called green thumb.
G Willi

Old 13-11-2012, 06:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On 5/28/2012 3:36 AM, Willi wrote:
This year I.pseudacorus and I.germanica flowered at the same time and I
tried to cross-pollinate some. So I didn't pick off the faded flowers
for the photo. Usually Iris pseudacorus flowers later and the flowering
periods do not overlap.

G Willi

I had 4 big clumps of Iris pseudacorus growing in the corner of my
property. This early summer, when they were in bloom, my neighbor
noticed them and reported them to the Department of Environmental
Conservation. It took nearly 2 months, but eventually the DEC sent
people over. They cut them down and applied some sort of herbicide on
the stubs so they would die. Knowing those plants, I bet they will grow
back.

Steve

Old 13-11-2012, 05:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Am 13.11.2012 06:46, schrieb Steve:
On 5/28/2012 3:36 AM, Willi wrote:
This year I.pseudacorus and I.germanica flowered at the same time and I
tried to cross-pollinate some. So I didn't pick off the faded flowers
for the photo. Usually Iris pseudacorus flowers later and the flowering
periods do not overlap.

G Willi

I had 4 big clumps of Iris pseudacorus growing in the corner of my
property. This early summer, when they were in bloom, my neighbor
noticed them and reported them to the Department of Environmental
Conservation. It took nearly 2 months, but eventually the DEC sent
people over. They cut them down and applied some sort of herbicide on
the stubs so they would die. Knowing those plants, I bet they will grow
back.

Steve

They are native here (Austria, Central Europe). I don't know any in wild
nature around here though as they prefer rather swampy grounds like the
sides of ponds for example. According to my experience they expand less
than other irises in rather dry soil.

[IMG] code is On

Iridaceae - Iris Victoria Falls - bearded irisIridaceae - Iris Victoria Falls - bearded iris Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 2 01-02-2009 11:24 PM
Iris pseudacorus v. bastardii [1/1] MadCow Garden Photos 0 18-06-2007 12:05 AM
iris Pseudacorus BK United Kingdom 8 29-07-2003 11:12 AM
ANN: 2 New Iris Videos from American Iris Society National Convention Bobby Baxter Gardening 0 28-05-2003 06:08 AM
tall iris?/MY IRIS jammer Gardening 0 17-04-2003 03:44 AM