Old 06-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Registered User

Default Can anyone tell me what this is called please

I bought a small evergreen tree at least ten years ago. It has flowers on the underside of the branches in May/June and is very slow growing more out than upwards. However, unfortunately, it was being obscured by a cherry tree, so I decided to replant it, but alas it looks to be dying, but I cannot remember the name of it. Can anyone identify it please.
Attached Thumbnails
Can anyone tell me what this is called please-tree-garden.jpg
Old 06-07-2012, 06:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 10:15:09 +0000, Carol Taylor
wrote:

I bought a small evergreen tree at least ten years ago. It has flowers
on the underside of the branches in May/June and is very slow growing
more out than upwards. However, unfortunately, it was being obscured by
a cherry tree, so I decided to replant it, but alas it looks to be
dying, but I cannot remember the name of it. Can anyone identify it
please.

Your picture is too fuzzy, and out of focus. Can you be more specific?
Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

I bought a small evergreen tree at least ten years ago. It has flowers
on the underside of the branches in May/June and is very slow growing
more out than upwards. However, unfortunately, it was being obscured by
a cherry tree, so I decided to replant it, but alas it looks to be
dying, but I cannot remember the name of it. Can anyone identify it
please.

Maybe it is a spruce but hard to tell from you photo.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

I bought a small evergreen tree at least ten years ago. It has flowers
on the underside of the branches in May/June and is very slow growing
more out than upwards. However, unfortunately, it was being obscured by
a cherry tree, so I decided to replant it, but alas it looks to be
dying, but I cannot remember the name of it. Can anyone identify it
please.

This appears to be a conifer which would not have flowers.
Can you provide a better picture?
--
Monterey, California USA
USDA Zone 9
Old 06-07-2012, 11:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

I bought a small evergreen tree at least ten years ago. It has flowers
on the underside of the branches in May/June and is very slow growing
more out than upwards. However, unfortunately, it was being obscured by
a cherry tree, so I decided to replant it, but alas it looks to be
dying, but I cannot remember the name of it. Can anyone identify it
please.

Maybe it is a spruce but hard to tell from you photo.

Evergreen that flowers?

The flowers rule out spruce.

The photo is a bad joke, not even going to try to guess.

--
Dan Espen

Old 06-07-2012, 11:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

I bought a small evergreen tree at least ten years ago. It has flowers
on the underside of the branches in May/June and is very slow growing
more out than upwards. However, unfortunately, it was being obscured by
a cherry tree, so I decided to replant it, but alas it looks to be
dying, but I cannot remember the name of it. Can anyone identify it
please.

Maybe it is a spruce but hard to tell from you photo.

Evergreen that flowers?

The flowers rule out spruce.

The photo is a bad joke, not even going to try to guess.

I didn't read the text very well did I.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Registered User

Hi, thanks for all your replies, yes, terrible photo, sorry about that, it poured down all day yesterday when I took it, so have been out and taken a better one, plus a close up. The "flowers" were perhaps tiny cones, that were pinkish purple on the underside. Hopefully someone can now identify it.
Attached Thumbnails
Can anyone tell me what this is called please-tree-garden.jpg   Can anyone tell me what this is called please-tree-garden1.jpg
Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Carol Taylor" wrote
'joevan[_3_ Wrote:
;963649']On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 18:21:36 -0400, Dan Espen

wrote:
-
joevan
-
wrote:
-

[...]

Well it's a fir tree so no flowers only cones, probably Picea pungens "
Montgomery" but there are also some Abies species that are grey leaved.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Worcestershire
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Taylor View Post
Hi, thanks for all your replies, yes, terrible photo, sorry about that, it poured down all day yesterday when I took it, so have been out and taken a better one, plus a close up. The "flowers" were perhaps tiny cones, that were pinkish purple on the underside. Hopefully someone can now identify it.
It looks very like a Blue Spruce.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decourcey View Post
It looks very like a Blue Spruce.
HOORAY, I have been searching for hours on the web and have found it. It is ABIES PROCERA GLAUCA PROTRATA - here is a pictu

Thanks everyone for trying to help me. I just need to know where to buy one now.
Attached Thumbnails
Can anyone tell me what this is called please-abies-procera-glauca-protrata.jpg

Old 07-07-2012, 04:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Carol Taylor" wrote ..

Decourcey;963665 Wrote:
It looks very like a Blue Spruce.

HOORAY, I have been searching for hours on the web and have found it. It
is ABIES PROCERA GLAUCA PROTRATA - here is a pictu

Thanks everyone for trying to help me. I just need to know where to buy
one now.

That's easy if you are in the UK.....go to....

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/

and enter the name and you will get a list of all registered nurseries in
your area that have it, they will probably not be Garden centres but proper
nurseries, so no toilets or cafe, just lots of interesting plants.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...

"Carol Taylor" wrote ..

Decourcey;963665 Wrote:
It looks very like a Blue Spruce.

HOORAY, I have been searching for hours on the web and have found it. It
is ABIES PROCERA GLAUCA PROTRATA - here is a pictu

Thanks everyone for trying to help me. I just need to know where to buy
one now.

That's easy if you are in the UK.....go to....

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/

and enter the name and you will get a list of all registered nurseries in
your area that have it, they will probably not be Garden centres but proper
nurseries, so no toilets or cafe, just lots of interesting plants.

It's prostrata, you missed out the s.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden[_3_] View Post
"Bob Hobden" wrote ...

"Carol Taylor" wrote ..

Decourcey;963665 Wrote:
It looks very like a Blue Spruce.

HOORAY, I have been searching for hours on the web and have found it. It
is ABIES PROCERA GLAUCA PROTRATA - here is a pictu

Thanks everyone for trying to help me. I just need to know where to buy
one now.

That's easy if you are in the UK.....go to....

RHS Plant Finder / RHS Gardening

and enter the name and you will get a list of all registered nurseries in
your area that have it, they will probably not be Garden centres but proper
nurseries, so no toilets or cafe, just lots of interesting plants.

It's prostrata, you missed out the s.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
Bob, I have clicked on your link and it shows me 3 sources, Scotland, South and East, the East one is where I bought my oriignal plant whilst on holiday. Have already written to the Scotland one asking if they have one in stock. Thanks for your information and help.