GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   giant morning glory? giant morning glory 2012-09-19 10.06.36.jpg (9 of 9) (1/1) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/205214-giant-morning-glory-giant-morning-glory-2012-09-19-10-06-36-jpg-9-9-1-1-a.html)

Anne's little brother Bob 19-09-2012 09:08 AM

giant morning glory? giant morning glory 2012-09-19 10.06.36.jpg (9 of 9) (1/1)

1 Attachment(s)

joevan[_3_] 19-09-2012 11:19 AM

giant morning glory? giant morning glory 2012-09-19 10.06.36.jpg (9 of 9) (1/1)

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 03:08:22 -0500,
lid (Anne's little brother Bob)
wrote:
Not a morning glory, more likely a moonflower.
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-d...al/moonflower/

Dan Espen[_2_] 19-09-2012 01:43 PM

wrote:
Not a morning glory, more likely a moonflower.
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-d...al/moonflower/

Looks more like Jimson Weed (Datura stramonium):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium

--
Dan Espen

joevan[_3_] 19-09-2012 02:16 PM

giant morning glory? giant morning glory 2012-09-19 10.06.36.jpg (9 of 9) (1/1)

wrote:
Not a morning glory, more likely a moonflower.
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-d...al/moonflower/

Looks more like Jimson Weed (Datura stramonium):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium

The leaves don't look the same.

Dan Espen[_2_] 19-09-2012 02:31 PM

wrote:
Not a morning glory, more likely a moonflower.
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-d...al/moonflower/

Looks more like Jimson Weed (Datura stramonium):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium

The leaves don't look the same.

You're right.
I was looking at the leaves, but taking a second look,
I agree, Moonflower.

--
Dan Espen

Bob Hobden[_3_] 19-09-2012 05:59 PM

giant morning glory? giant morning glory 2012-09-19 10.06.36.jpg (9 of 9) (1/1)

"Dan Espen" wrote

joevan writes:

wrote:
Not a morning glory, more likely a moonflower.
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-d...al/moonflower/

Looks more like Jimson Weed (Datura stramonium):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium

The leaves don't look the same.

You're right.
I was looking at the leaves, but taking a second look,
I agree, Moonflower.

I'm glad you could get it all to re-combine into one photo, I couldn't.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Bob O'Dyne 19-09-2012 07:14 PM

giant morning glory? giant morning glory 2012-09-19 10.06.36.jpg (9 of 9) (1/1)

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:59:28 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

I'm glad you could get it all to re-combine into one photo, I couldn't.

The files were posted with PoerPost, for which I believe yEnc is the
default setting. For WLM you want to consider a yEnc decoder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yproxy

--
Ann's Little Brother Bob

Bob O'Dyne 19-09-2012 07:19 PM

giant morning glory? giant morning glory 2012-09-19 10.06.36.jpg (9 of 9) (1/1)

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:31:41 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

I was looking at the leaves, but taking a second look,
I agree, Moonflower.

It seems to be Datura inoxia.

I checked this evening and the flowers do bloom after sundown: I just
happened to notice them in the early morning. They also have a
delightful fragrance which I'd not noticed at all.

Too bad they're so poisonous.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

--
Ann's Little Brother Bob

Bob Hobden[_3_] 19-09-2012 11:01 PM

giant morning glory? giant morning glory 2012-09-19 10.06.36.jpg (9 of 9) (1/1)

"Bob O'Dyne" wrote

"Bob Hobden"wrote:

I'm glad you could get it all to re-combine into one photo, I couldn't.

The files were posted with PoerPost, for which I believe yEnc is the
default setting. For WLM you want to consider a yEnc decoder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yproxy

Been down that route before and it isn't worth the bother. I've managed to
re-combine and see other yEnc split photos but this lot just would not.
Why not post a jpeg image reduced in size like most other people here?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

joevan[_3_] 20-09-2012 12:11 AM

giant morning glory? giant morning glory 2012-09-19 10.06.36.jpg (9 of 9) (1/1)

wrote:

I'm glad you could get it all to re-combine into one photo, I couldn't.

The files were posted with PoerPost, for which I believe yEnc is the
default setting. For WLM you want to consider a yEnc decoder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yproxy

If you mean power post then it has the option I believe to post
uuencoded.

Gertrude[_2_] 20-09-2012 12:37 AM

giant morning glory? giant morning glory 2012-09-19 10.06.36.jpg (9 of 9) (1/1)

Been down that route before and it isn't worth the bother. I've managed to
re-combine and see other yEnc split photos but this lot just would not.

if you insist on using a broken newsreader please stop complaining when
it doesn't work

Why not post a jpeg image reduced in size like most other people here?/

they are jpeg images

..--
--
I Know That I Know What I Know

Bob Hobden[_3_] 20-09-2012 11:07 PM

giant morning glory? giant morning glory 2012-09-19 10.06.36.jpg (9 of 9) (1/1)

"Wolf K" wrote

Gertrude wrote:

Been down that route before and it isn't worth the bother. I've managed
re-combine and see other yEnc split photos but this lot just would not.

if you insist on using a broken newsreader please stop complaining when
it doesn't work

Why not post a jpeg image reduced in size like most other people here?/

they are jpeg images

yEnc is a method of encoding images (== converting to strings of text) so
they can be transmitted as posts or emails. It does not conform to
international (open) standards, and exists in several versions. Its
originator refused to deal with the ISO, because he wanted to make
loadsadough licensing it. I don't know whether the e-mail/news readers that
can decode it have licensed the code. It was a useful idea in its time
because it produces smaller files for transmission than the standard
methods do. That had advantages in the days of slow connections and limited
bandwidth. IMO it's obsolete.

It's a jpeg image that has been encoded using yEnc and split into many
parts.

My thoughts too Wolf, it was OK in the days of dialup but is totally
unnecessary these days with broadband speeds. It's the first one for some
while that I haven't been able to recombine which is strange, perhaps it's a
different version of yEnc.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Bob Hobden[_3_] 20-09-2012 11:09 PM

giant morning glory? giant morning glory 2012-09-19 10.06.36.jpg (9 of 9) (1/1)

"joevan" wrote

Bob O'Dyne wrote:

Bob Hobden" wrote:

I'm glad you could get it all to re-combine into one photo, I couldn't.

The files were posted with PoerPost, for which I believe yEnc is the
default setting. For WLM you want to consider a yEnc decoder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yproxy

If you mean power post then it has the option I believe to post
uuencoded.

I have a yEnc decoder and have always found it worked well previously, this
time it would not.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

billn 21-09-2012 01:57 AM

giant morning glory? giant morning glory 2012-09-19 10.06.36.jpg (9 of 9) (1/1)

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Wolf K" wrote

Gertrude wrote:

[...]

Totally agree. If someone wants people to see their photos, why not just
post them in a normal, everyday format that everyone is guaranteed to be
able to read?
--
bill n

Bob O'Dyne 21-09-2012 03:19 AM

giant morning glory? giant morning glory 2012-09-19 10.06.36.jpg (9 of 9) (1/1)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 23:09:56 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

I have a yEnc decoder and have always found it worked well previously, this
time it would not.

Now that IS strange. They were posted with Camelsystem Powerpost
(http://powerpost.camelsystem.nl/e-index.php) which is a recently (Jan
2012) updated version of the original. One of the "improvements" that
I just noticed appears to the removal of the uuencode option...

I need to look into this.

--
Ann's Little Brother Bob