Old 21-10-2012, 12:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Basket Fern-6665-(Drynaria rigidula)

An unusual native fern, in the wild they grow on trees, in domestic
situations, they don't need to be put in pots or dirt, as they produce their
own 'basket'. They have 2 different fronds, tall fertile fronds and small
infertile 'nest' fronds which are the ones that form the basket. This one is
only just producing it's summer tall fronds and they are not as yet, fully
developed, I cut all the old ones off a couple of weeks ago.

Attached Thumbnails
Basket Fern-6665-(Drynaria rigidula)-c-6665-basketfern-21-10-12-40-100.jpg
Old 21-10-2012, 03:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Maroochy" wrote

An unusual native fern, in the wild they grow on trees, in domestic
situations, they don't need to be put in pots or dirt, as they produce
their own 'basket'. They have 2 different fronds, tall fertile fronds and
small infertile 'nest' fronds which are the ones that form the basket. This
one is only just producing it's summer tall fronds and they are not as yet,
fully developed, I cut all the old ones off a couple of weeks ago.

Interesting info...
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/de...dSpListing.htm
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 22-10-2012, 10:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Hobden wrote:
Interesting info...
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/de...dSpListing.htm

There you go, I didn't know that.

Old 23-10-2012, 09:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article , Maroochy
writes
Bob Hobden wrote:
Interesting info...
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/de...laAFernEndSpLi

ting.htm

There you go, I didn't know that.

How do you keep it from falling off its stump?
Thanks for helping to save it from extinction, it really would be a
shame for the world to lose something so weird-looking.
--
Sue ]
Old 24-10-2012, 03:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mad Cow wrote:
How do you keep it from falling off its stump?

The stump has a hollow in it and the base of the fern is sitting in the
hollow.

Thanks for helping to save it from extinction, it really would be a
shame for the world to lose something so weird-looking.

Yes it would, though from reading the article, it seems they are only
endangered in NSW, I live in Qld and they seem to be reasonably safe here,
(for the time being).
As an aside, I live in a valley and on one of the roads out of the valley,
up a steep climbing road, high on some rocks on the cliff side, there is a
huge basket fern growing, I've never seen one so big, it must be a good 2
metres across.

Old 25-10-2012, 07:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

As an aside, I live in a valley and on one of the roads out of the valley,
up a steep climbing road, high on some rocks on the cliff side, there is a
huge basket fern growing, I've never seen one so big, it must be a good 2
metres across.

Is a photo possible?
--
Monterey, California USA
USDA Zone 9
Old 25-10-2012, 10:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Garrapata wrote:
As an aside, I live in a valley and on one of the roads out of the
valley, up a steep climbing road, high on some rocks on the cliff
side, there is a huge basket fern growing, I've never seen one so
big, it must be a good 2 metres across.

Is a photo possible?

A bit difficult, the road has no where to pull over, a drop down into the
valley on one side and a rock cliff on the other.

Old 25-10-2012, 10:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 06:27:21 +1000, "Maroochy"
wrote:

Garrapata wrote:
As an aside, I live in a valley and on one of the roads out of the
valley, up a steep climbing road, high on some rocks on the cliff
side, there is a huge basket fern growing, I've never seen one so
big, it must be a good 2 metres across.

Is a photo possible?

A bit difficult, the road has no where to pull over, a drop down into the
valley on one side and a rock cliff on the other.

Sounds exciting, maybe a sure footed mule would surfice to get one
there.
Old 26-10-2012, 03:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Is a photo possible?

A bit difficult, the road has no where to pull over, a drop down into the
valley on one side and a rock cliff on the other.

Ah well, you will find another or yours will get that big eventually
--
Monterey, California USA
USDA Zone 9
Old 26-10-2012, 04:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article , joevan
writes
wrote:

Garrapata wrote:
As an aside, I live in a valley and on one of the roads out of the
valley, up a steep climbing road, high on some rocks on the cliff
side, there is a huge basket fern growing, I've never seen one so
big, it must be a good 2 metres across.

Is a photo possible?

A bit difficult, the road has no where to pull over, a drop down into the
valley on one side and a rock cliff on the other.

Sounds exciting, maybe a sure footed mule would surfice to get one
there.

I'd rope down from the top, choosing a line to one side of the fern so
as to get a range of angles on the way down.
--
Sue ]

Old 27-10-2012, 09:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mad Cow wrote:
I'd rope down from the top, choosing a line to one side of the fern so
as to get a range of angles on the way down.

you're quite welcome to do so, however I have no wish to do the same :-)

Old 27-10-2012, 09:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

joevan wrote:
Sounds exciting, maybe a sure footed mule would surfice to get one
there.

It's not quite that bad. :-)