Old 29-10-2012, 05:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default winter apples

.... particularly 'Elstar' in this case, covered with the first Central
European snow.

Attached Thumbnails
winter apples-apple_elstar-0.jpg
Old 29-10-2012, 08:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 18:46:15 +0100, Willi wrote:

... particularly 'Elstar' in this case, covered with the first Central
European snow.

Nice shot. Cold but nice. How do they taste?
Old 30-10-2012, 04:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Willi wrote:
... particularly 'Elstar' in this case, covered with the first Central
European snow.

Neat shot, are the apples still edible?

Old 30-10-2012, 08:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Am 30.10.2012 05:52, schrieb Maroochy:
Willi wrote:
... particularly 'Elstar' in this case, covered with the first Central
European snow.

Neat shot, are the apples still edible?

I tasted 2 of them today. They are still good and taste fine. (Well, it
were only the first signs of winter and not the Ice Age.) It has been
warm today and the other apples remain still on the tree.
I grafted the 'tree' myself. It is in a pot and only about 4 feet tall.
The branch with the apples is sort of the main trunk actually. Of course
I had to lean it against another plant in summer, because it bore 7
apples this year to my surprise.
Old 30-10-2012, 08:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Am 29.10.2012 21:07, schrieb joevan:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 18:46:15 +0100, Willi wrote:

... particularly 'Elstar' in this case, covered with the first Central
European snow.

Nice shot. Cold but nice. How do they taste?

I picked 2 today. They are crunchy, a bit sweet and quite aromatic. This
breed is quite popular here, one can find them in almost any grocery or
fruit section.

Old 13-11-2012, 05:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Willi wrote:
... particularly 'Elstar' in this case, covered with the first Central
European snow.

Neat shot, are the apples still edible?

I tasted 2 of them today. They are still good and taste fine. (Well, it
were only the first signs of winter and not the Ice Age.) It has been
warm today and the other apples remain still on the tree.
I grafted the 'tree' myself. It is in a pot and only about 4 feet tall.
The branch with the apples is sort of the main trunk actually. Of course
I had to lean it against another plant in summer, because it bore 7
apples this year to my surprise.

I have 4 apple trees. One is a Honeygold, the other 3 I have
multi-grafted so that I have at least a dozen cultivars growing on them.
I found by accident that the Honeygold can take a lot of cold weather,
with no damage. In my location, Honeygold is about as late an apple as I
can grow. If we have a colder than average summer, they don't quite get
ripe enough. I always let them hang on until October. One year, the tree
was still loaded and suddenly the forecast was predicting a low of 20
degrees F (that's about 7 below zero Celsius). My wife and I went out
before dark and picked the majority of them and brought them inside.
A day or two later, I was out in the yard and noticed the ones still
hanging looked pretty good. They tasted just fine too. Completely
normal. I left some out until it got even colder and they didn't really
get badly damaged until it got down to the mid teens. Most of my other
apples turn to mush at much warmer temperatures.

Steve in the Adirondacks of northern New York

Old 13-11-2012, 04:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Willi wrote:
[...]

The small tree in the pic consists also of 4 varieties. The base is a
seedling, on that I grafted a very low-growing kind and again on that
'Elstar' and a very old local variety (middle-sized and striped fruit,
no fruit so far on this tree/bush). The old tree from which I took the
cutting died this year after having beautifully flowered in spring, so I
am glad to have a surviving spare.