Old 11-01-2013, 04:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Mistletoe

After discussions on uk.rec.gardening it appears mistletoe is still
restricted to certain areas of the UK even though it is increasing, ours is
one area where it is a common sight. Much easier to see in winter with no
leaves on the trees.

More mistletoe photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632492269139/

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Attached Thumbnails
Mistletoe-img_0022-copy.jpg
Old 12-01-2013, 10:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
After discussions on uk.rec.gardening it appears mistletoe is still
restricted to certain areas of the UK even though it is increasing, ours is
one area where it is a common sight. Much easier to see in winter with no
leaves on the trees.

More mistletoe photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632492269139/

Here it's common north of the Thames: perhaps it prefers trees growing
on chalky soils.
I can't bring myself to praise that picture... er, I hope the house
isn't yours! I do like your img_0027 sillhouette of a well infested
tree.
--
Sue ];(
Old 12-01-2013, 12:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mad Cow" wrote

Bob Hobden writes
After discussions on uk.rec.gardening it appears mistletoe is still
restricted to certain areas of the UK even though it is increasing, ours
is
one area where it is a common sight. Much easier to see in winter with no
leaves on the trees.

More mistletoe photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632492269139/

Here it's common north of the Thames: perhaps it prefers trees growing
on chalky soils.
I can't bring myself to praise that picture... er, I hope the house
isn't yours! I do like your img_0027 sillhouette of a well infested
tree.

Yes, the priority was to show the mistletoe so the pictures tend to look
dark. Not that it was very light!
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-01-2013, 05:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 18:11:26 -0500, Wolf K
wrote:

On 1/12/2013 7:23 AM, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Mad Cow" wrote

Bob Hobden writes
After discussions on uk.rec.gardening it appears mistletoe is still
restricted to certain areas of the UK even though it is increasing,
ours is
one area where it is a common sight. Much easier to see in winter
with no
leaves on the trees.

More mistletoe photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632492269139/

Here it's common north of the Thames: perhaps it prefers trees growing
on chalky soils.
I can't bring myself to praise that picture... er, I hope the house
isn't yours! I do like your img_0027 sillhouette of a well infested
tree.

Yes, the priority was to show the mistletoe so the pictures tend to look
dark. Not that it was very light!

New Scientist (18 December 2012) reports that a study of the effects of
removing mistletoe showed that it's essential for a healthy
forest/woodland ecology. The researchers removed every bit of mistletoe
from several patches of eucalyptus in New South Wales. The effects were
not good. Read more he
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...html?full=true

I hope the link works. I have a subscription, so I can't tell whether
this is one of the free articles or not.

Happy New Year to All.

"To continue reading this article, log in or subscribe to New
Scientist"
We had misletoe in the woods all around us in Va. We used to shoot it
down with a 22 when we were youngsters.
Old 13-01-2013, 02:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Nothome" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

After discussions on uk.rec.gardening it appears mistletoe is still
restricted to certain areas of the UK even though it is increasing, ours
is
one area where it is a common sight. Much easier to see in winter with no
leaves on the trees.

Mistletoe is quite common in my part of Florida. A surprising number
of people have no idea what it looks like and cannot spot it growing in
the trees.

That was one of my reasons for taking the photos, to show those who don't
have it locally what to look for when they are out and about.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

[IMG] code is On

How to kill Mistletoe in oak trees? [email protected] Gardening 3 05-09-2003 02:02 AM
How to kill Mistletoe in Maple trees? Phisherman Gardening 5 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
mistletoe mistletoe Plant Science 11 05-05-2003 06:32 PM
Mistletoe Sean Houtman Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:29 PM
Mistletoe for swap Carol Russell United Kingdom 0 01-01-2003 09:40 PM